Windows 7 Windows 7 freezes when copying large file

Matthieu

Hi all,

I have a really big issue with one of my computer when copying large file (about more than 1GB).

My config:

• Acer Aspire M3641
  • Windows 7 Ultimate 64x
  • Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 2,5Ghz
  • 4GB Ram
  • 750GB HD
When I copy a large file, 10GB for instance, after the time calcution for copy, the copy begins but the progress bar never goes after 1%. Even if I let the copy working all the night, the status stays the same. I have this issue if I copy a file from a folder to another one or if I copy it from my computer to an external hard drive (both NTFS).

I have another computer with Windows 7 Enterprise which does not have this kind of problem. :rolleyes:

Could you help me on this issue?

Thank you very much

Are you running the same anti-virus or firewall on both computers.

The anti-virus can cause this. Although I don't copy huge files I use NOD32 and it can cause a slowdown of big files. If you know the file is safe then temporary disable your antivirus and then try to copy the file again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for your answers.

That's true, I uninstalled my antivirus which was AVG Free and now the copy succeeds to finish :)

BUT, I remark the copies take too much time in this computer with Windows 7, it takes for instance about 4 hours to copy 20 Go ! I solved this issue by installing SuperCopier. Do not hesitate if you have any other suggestions.

If you are running too many programs when you are copying, it will easily get freezed! You should exit other programs before you copy such large file next time. To protect your PC security, you should get an excellent program :p

Something seems really wrong! Although 1 GB is a little large, it shouldn't take as long as you see. I would do 2 things (which will help improve overall performance)

1) open a command prompt with Administrator privileges. Then run chkdsk c: Press the enter/return key and let chkdsk do it's thing (it checking your hd for problems). IF it finds any problems (it will tell you to re-run chkdsk with the /f option), do so. It will then tell you it can't run, do you want to run Chkdsk on the next reboot. Press the "Y" key. shut down all your programs and reboot.

2) After your pc reboots (AND this may take a while, depending on the size of your hd) defrag your hd.

Back