Windows 7 Windows 7 Freezing?

juztin

Okay, I know there's already a forum for this, but I need to know what needs to be done with my computer alone to better understand how to fix this problem.

I just upgraded to Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit from Windows Vista 64 bit.

Ever since I upgraded, my computer will randomly lock up. It will lock up with one program, then another program, then another, and then when I start Task Manager, it freezes too.

Host Name: JUZTIN-PC
OS Name: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
OS Version: 6.1.7600 N/A Build 7600
OS Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation
OS Configuration: Standalone Workstation
OS Build Type: Multiprocessor Free
Registered Owner: Juztin
Registered Organization: Hewlett-Packard
Product ID: 00359-OEM-8882457-03157
Original Install Date: 12/7/2009, 11:12:37 PM
System Boot Time: 12/8/2009, 11:40:36 AM
System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
System Model: HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook PC
System Type: x64-based PC

Processor(s):
1 Processor(s) Installed.
[01]: Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10 GenuineIntel ~2001 Mhz

BIOS Version: Hewlett-Packard F.33, 8/31/2009
Windows Directory: C:\Windows
System Directory: C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device: \Device\HarddiskVolume1
System Locale: en-us;English (United States)
Input Locale: en-us;English (United States)
Time Zone: (UTC-05:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)
Total Physical Memory: 6,111 MB
Available Physical Memory: 4,093 MB
Virtual Memory: Max Size: 12,221 MB
Virtual Memory: Available: 9,786 MB
Virtual Memory: In Use: 2,435 MB
Page File Location(s): C:\pagefile.sys
Domain: WORKGROUP
Logon Server: \\JUZTIN-PC

Hotfix(s):
9 Hotfix(s) Installed.
[01]: KB973525
[02]: KB974332
[03]: KB974431
[04]: KB974455
[05]: KB974571
[06]: KB975364
[07]: KB975467
[08]: KB976098
[09]: KB976749

Network Card(s):
2 NIC(s) Installed.
[01]: Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Connection Name: Local Area Connection
[02]: Intel(R) WiFi Link 5100 AGN
Connection Name: Wireless Network Connection
DHCP Enabled: Yes
DHCP Server: 192.168.1.1
IP address(es)
[01]: 192.168.1.15
[02]: fe80::d426:3b50:3c82:f89

Before I installed it, it said I needed to update my A933DF7O IDE Controller & my keyboard filter, but I haven't been able to find either of those online.

I originally clicked NEXT because I thought it would close the upgrade and take me back to Vista, but instead, it installed 7 anyway.

Last edited:
Hey Juztin,

Most of the problems that people have are from those who "upgrade" rather than a clean install. I (as most the people on this forum) suggest that you try a clean install first.

Basher

I've already upgraded. :( All I got was the HP Upgrade Disk from HP themselves because I was eligible for the free upgrade since I bought my computer only a month ago.

In a perfect world upgrading should work but until we get there upgrading to windows 7 is ill advised.
Thats all I myself can advise - maybe someone else has a better option.

Basher

Freezing an' Hanging

Hello Juztin
I also had problems with freezing and the PC would hang so I couldn't even install the updates. :frown: I also have 7 Home Premium 64 bit. So I reinstalled everything [clean install this time after saving everything of course :eek:]
That didn't work either, but I read somewhere to reset BIOS. So I did reset the BIOS to 'Load optimized defaults' and touch wood [superstition is good when nothing else works] it's OK now.
Hope that helps you too.
Hazelnut:)

Okay, I know there's already a forum for this, but I need to know what needs to be done with my computer alone to better understand how to fix this problem.

I just upgraded to Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit from Windows Vista 64 bit.

Ever since I upgraded, my computer will randomly lock up. It will lock up with one program, then another program, then another, and then when I start Task Manager, it freezes too.

How do I reset my BIOS? I hope this doesn't involve taking my computer apart :confused: I'm not a hardware person. :rolleyes:

No not at all.
you [usually] get a thing come up on screen when you turn on your PC telling you which key to press. With mine I press 'Del' and the BIOS screen will load before windows kicks in. I just did a quick search and you might need to press F9 [hold it down until the BIOS screen appears].
H

How do I reset my BIOS? I hope this doesn't involve taking my computer apart :confused: I'm not a hardware person. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that. These problems should have been ironed out before release and we shouldn't have to work so hard to get expensive OS's to work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I've managed to get mine going with this re-setting the BIOS but now each time I load a new driver I create a new restore point so I hopefully can eliminate the divers that are a problem - as some clearly are. I still have problems with my Epsom printer diver that works one day and has disappered the next. How can that be I wonder????????
Can you open it in 'safe mode' OK?
Safe mode loads only the basic divers and sometimes will work which to me indicates driver problems,
Hopefully one of the more experienced members can come up with a solution.

I loaded the bios defaults and it still does it. :mad:

Sorry to hear that. These problems should have been ironed out before release and we shouldn't have to work so hard to get expensive OS's to work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I've managed to get mine going with this re-setting the BIOS but now each time I load a new driver I create a new restore point so I hopefully can eliminate the divers that are a problem - as some clearly are. I still have problems with my Epsom printer diver that works one day and has disappered the next. How can that be I wonder????????
Can you open it in 'safe mode' OK?
Safe mode loads only the basic divers and sometimes will work which to me indicates driver problems,
Hopefully one of the more experienced members can come up with a solution.

I love my Epson printer except for this issue with their driver's, I have had a long conversation with a manager in the call centre of level 1 support and it's known issue , unsolved by them as yet :mad:

Epson

Yeah me too :frown:
I've reverted back to my other PC to do print & scanning jobs. Lucky me I have another so I can get on with my Xmas cards 'an all.
Hope they sort it out soon.:)

I love my Epson printer except for this issue with their driver's, I have had a long conversation with a manager in the call centre of level 1 support and it's known issue , unsolved by them as yet :mad:

Back