Windows 7 Windows 7 Hard Drive won't stop accessing idle. (disabled indexing)

synikk

Hi. I have been googling and digging thru responses but i cant find an answer to this problem. Ever since I got this computer, I believe the hd has just constantly been reading. It's not extreme reading, just subtle clickclick every quarter second or so.

I did a fresh install of w7 x64 just now but the reading still exists! First thing I did was disable indexing entirely. No change. I've been looking at the process monitor to try and figure out if theres anything strange going on but I'm not really sure what I'm looking at.

Any idea how to get it to stop reading? Are there other services that do some caching of some sort that would cause this autoreading to occur? Thanks for any ideas. I'd love it to stop reading when nothing is going on :|

I have no automated tasks. (that I know of). I added an image of my task manager processes (not many since a fresh install) and also the disk reading of the resource monitor. Thanks for any ideas. I use comodo internet security (which I realize can sometimes cause issues with many things) but the reading was occuring before I ever installed it. The 6 dragon processes are a Chrome clone browser, dragon, in case anyone is confused. Is it strange there are 6 of them? I think they doubled when I installed the flash plugin.

EDIT: I just came back to this post and compared my old screenshot of task manager to my current running task manager and noticed that there are 7 dragon browsers running now! I reset closed and reopened the browser and then there were 6 again... fishy? Maybe it was just a glitch I don't know. Also, it proceeded to finally notify me of more updates and SP1... which it didn't initially. I wonder if it's somehow collecting update data? I don't know. I wish it would tell me what it's doing... sometimes it starts grinding really hard for a bit. Thanks to anyone who reads and any ideas. heh

Attachments

• process.jpg
    process.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 434
  • process1.jpg
    process1.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 298
Last edited:
The dragon.exe seems to belong to Comodo Dragon Web Browser. Comodo is mostly known to me by their Firewall, which has been highly appreciated.

Unless you have meant to install this browser, it has probably come as an addition to another program, where it was an attachment. Many programs come with attachments, and it's not always that easy to notice them.

There's no real harm with it, but if you're paranoid in a healthy (!) way like I am, you will tend to get rid of anything extra. If you want to, uninstall it. It's in no way necessary for Windows. It's merely another browser, like Firefox, Chrome, Opera, and others. They work a bit differently, one likes one, another the other, but commonly speaking they all work and function. And your true Internet safety can never depend on the browser, I believe you need to have a separate safety for that.

Hope this helps in any way.

Last edited:
Just to add to Titanic's excellent explanation, when installing Comodo as well as any other software, ones needs to be very careful and pay close attention to what that software wants to install with it. There are a whole slew of unwanted bloatware added to software these days that include the dreaded toolbar and in your case the Comodo browser. Which happened to me as well when I was testing Comodo Security Suite, that browser slipped right by me...my fault, I didn't slow down enough to read everything, just got click happy....It happens to all of us now and then.

Last edited:
To add a bit: I once installed an antivirus program that got my processor running at 80-100%. I've had these 100% problems a few times, with malware, but I couldn't really believe my eyes that a security program does it. Self evidently, I got rid of it. It was from a distinguished company, however.

Take care, synikk. :)

You should know there are processes that run all the time in Windows 7 doing system maintenance type duties. NTFS checks the hard drive in the background and BITS downloads updates in the background and others.

That being said, there is one item on your Resource Monitor attachment with which I am not familiar, the System entry with the PID of 0. In Resource Monitor you can select that process and the items associated with it will be highlighted. Maybe that would show something. If you were to use Process Explorer as Administrator, you might be able to get info about the Image and some specifics about what it is doing. It might be related to one of the Anti-virus or other programs, not really sure.

In Process Monitor, you can include just that PID to watch it.

Back