Windows 7 Windows 7 home prenuim remote desktop

Billd59

I am tring to use the windows remote desktop. I am using It on 2 windows home prenuim computers. I tired to turn firewalls on both computer off just to check. One of the computers has DSL and know router.

When I try to connect I get a certificate . I attach the certificate. I tried just Installing It and than try to connect. What happens Is It just goes back to the windows remtoe desktop but know connect. I turnned remote desktop on.

Can anyone tell me anything to try?

Attachments

• certificate for remote desktop.jpg
    certificate for remote desktop.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 500
I am tring to use the windows remote desktop. I am using It on 2 windows home prenuim computers. I tired to turn firewalls on both computer off just to check. One of the computers has DSL and know router.

When I try to connect I get a certificate . I attach the certificate. I tried just Installing It and than try to connect. What happens Is It just goes back to the windows remtoe desktop but know connect. I turnned remote desktop on.

Can anyone tell me anything to try?

Try using any third party software viz. teamviewer, to access the computer remotely. You can also use www.support.me for remote access.

I will try It but I still would like to know what I am doing wrong?
As Saltgrass said in post #2, Windows Home Premium does not support remote desktop.
You either have to use a third party software or upgrade Windows.

I'm sorry but I'm not quite sure what you mean. If you're asking whether "third party software" is found in the start menu... yes and no.
By "third party software" I mean software that is written by people who do not work for Microsoft, so you won't find it in the start menu unless you install it first.
Head over to TeamViewer - Free Remote Control, Remote Access & Online Meetings and try out their program. It's free and personally I find it very good.

Hope this helps.

• You can use Remote Desktop to initiate a connection from any edition of Windows 7.
  • You can connect to computers running Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate, or Windows 7 Enterprise.
  • You can't use Remote Desktop Connection to connect to computers running Windows 7 Starter, Windows 7 Home Basic, or Windows 7 Home Premium.
SOURCE: Remote Desktop Connection: frequently asked questions

Not sure but based on your original post there may be some confusion between Remote Desktop and Remote Assistance.
In any case I would endorse what some others have suggested TeamViewer - Free Remote Control, Remote Access & Online Meetings it's free for personal use, easy on system resources and every bit as versatile as other options available.

SOURCE: Remote Desktop Connection: frequently asked questions

Not sure but based on your original post there may be some confusion between Remote Desktop and Remote Assistance.
In any case I would endorse what some others have suggested TeamViewer - Free Remote Control, Remote Access & Online Meetings it's free for personal use, easy on system resources and every bit as versatile as other options available.

I have Windows 7 home Premium and It has remote desktop connection on the start menu. When I try to connect with someone over the Internet, I put In the IP address and hit connect It comes up with a certificate I install the certifcate and try to connect It ask for my password then nothing happens. I am using Hamachi as a tunnel VPN to connect throw. so Its on the computer. I try to temperary turn off the firewalls. I don't know what else to try?

Yes Home Premium can initiate a connection to a remote host, it just cannot host a connection from a remote client.
On the remote Host (machine you are trying to connect to)
Click Start
Right click "Computer" choose properties
Left column select "Advanced system settings"
Select "Remote" tab
Near the bottom select the radio button that says "All connections from computers running any version of Remote Desktop"
Click OK
Try your remote session again and see if that helps. If you get another certificate prompt, check the box at the bottom that says don't ask me again, and yes or connect or whatever is there to proceed in the affirmative.
Can you advise as to the operating system being run on the host computer you are trying to connect to?

Last edited:
I under stand now that remote desktop only connects to Windows 7 pro and above. I will try teamviewer. I don't need anything with two way viewing. Something like remote desktop where you only can view one way Is ok. There Is no way to Install remote desktop on a Windows 7 home premiun so you can host a remote sesson too?

Last edited:
I don't need anything with two way viewing. Something like remote desktop where you only can view one way Is ok.
Typically TeamViewer is used identically like Remote Desktop with respect to one way remote control.
It does also support role reversal so you can swap host and client roles on the fly and it does support a meeting type environment if you so choose. But generally you'll usually only use the one aspect of its' feature set. Like I said it is versatile.

Typically TeamViewer is used identically like Remote Desktop with respect to one way remote control.
It does also support role reversal so you can swap host and client roles on the fly and it does support a meeting type environment if you so choose. But generally you'll usually only use the one aspect of its' feature set. Like I said it is versatile.

I will try It thanks.
One more thing I also have a vista and a Windows xp machine. Does vista or Windows XP remote Desktop Into Windows 7?

Yes, they both have the mstsc (Microsoft Terminal Server Client) module. So the same rules apply, Pro and above (Vista Business) can host a remote desktop session (that is they can be controlled) all version can initiate the client side to do the controlling.
TeamViewer on the other hand removes these types of restraints from the equation as it pretty much just works across the board.

Yes, they both have the mstsc (Microsoft Terminal Server Client) module. So the same rules apply, Pro and above (Vista Business) can host a remote desktop session (that is they can be controlled) all version can initiate the client side to do the controlling.
TeamViewer on the other hand removes these types of restraints from the equation as it pretty much just works across the board.

Can Windows 7 Enterprise host Windows 7 home with remote desktop? I am going to try team-viewer too.

Good post. Definitely, Home Premium edition of windows 7 can initiate a connection to a remote host, it just cannot host a connection from a remote client. In order to host a connection from remote client or from your computer, you can use various remote support services such as logmeinrescue, gosupportnow, GoToMyPC etc.

Back
Top Bottom