Windows 7 Windows 7 infinite restart problem.

Jeff Geraldez

my friend's laptop did not successfully boot and it just keep on restarting after the loading screen appears.
The safe mode didn't work either. As well as the installation disk, it get stucked when I press "Repair my computer".
And also, when I press F8 and disable "Automatic restart ...... " I faced this error.

BSOD:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen. restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:
Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer. for any windows updates you might need.

If problem continue, disable or remove any newly install =ed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory option such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advance Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical Information:

STOP: 0x000000D1 (0x00000008, 0x0000000A, 0x00000000, 0x839B28D9)

sisraid4.sys - Address 839B28D9 base at 839AD000, DateStamp 45adcfa2

That actually show up on the screen when I disable Automatic restart.. I don't know what's the cause of this problem, my friend cannot remember the last time he used his laptop.

Safe mode and all the options in F8 didn't work either. The installation disk get stucked at Starting set up ( 'cause I want to install new OS on other partition so that I can back up the files hopefully. But suddenly failed. )
I already check the memory using memtes86, no error found, pass only once cause it takes too long. Anyone know this???? Please help.

Last edited:
You may have a corrupted disk driver or wrong disk driver being loaded. Win7 load failed on reading the disk. It's similar to problem that Win98 users installed dual boot with NT and selected NTFS format for the disk. Win98 loads and then boom... it couldn't read NTFS partitions. It seems odd that your friend's "laptop" would be attempting to load a sisraid4.sys (RAID driver).

Remove the drive - mount it as a data drive on a known "clean" working system, backup your friend's data or image the drive (i.e. Access Data FTK Image freeware), put the drive back, reformat and do a clean install.

If there is no data that needs to be saved, just use the built in factory software to restore to laptop to factory conditions...the day it was first turned on and set up.

hello, thank you for the reply. I want to back up his data 'cause some important data is on his HDD.
Do I need to remove his drive and put it into an enclosure so that it can be read on any computers and format it?
And put back the drive into his laptop again and do a Clean Install?? please help.. :(

sorry for the newbie question, 'cause I already attempted to install a new Windows 7 on the other partition on his drive.
But when I click "Install Now".. I get stucked in "Setup is starting..." screen. I don't know why. it just keep on loading but nothing happens.

Last edited:
If you don't have one I'd buy a USB drive adapter, and use it to plug into the USB port on another computer.
I just did this myself, my computer was hit by lightning and it took out the mother board and video card.

I was able to transfer all of the data from the dead computer to my new one just using Windows Explorer.

This is the unit I use and I was able to get all the data off of both of my 1TB drives.

Amazon.com: Apricorn Drivewire Universal HDD Adapter USB To 2.5IN & 3.5IN Sata & Pata: Electronics

It worked great, what I like about this unit is it will work with virtually any hard drive.
You don't even have to install any software just plug it into a USB port on any computer.

You can probably pick one up locally.
You can use it to format the drive when you are done so you can start with a clean install.

The other option would be to create a Ubuntu boot disk on your computer and then boot his computer with it, then use that to copy the data off of it to disks or an external hard drive.

Download | Ubuntu

My Ubuntu disk has booted everything I've tried it on that wasn't fried by lightning. LOL

Mike

Last edited:
hello, thank you for the reply. I want to back up his data 'cause some important data is on his HDD.
Do I need to remove his drive and put it into an enclosure so that it can be read on any computers and format it?
And put back the drive into his laptop again and do a Clean Install?? please help.. :(

sorry for the newbie question, 'cause I already attempted to install a new Windows 7 on the other partition on his drive.
But when I click "Install Now".. I get stucked in "Setup is starting..." screen. I don't know why. it just keep on loading but nothing happens.

Since you can't boot the machine to perform an administrative share of the drive, you need to take out the hard drive. Removing the hard drive from a laptop is extremely easy. Remove the (one) screw holding the cover gives you access to the hard drive. Check to see if there is a second screw that's inside and remove it. Slide the hard drive away from the connector and take it out. Identify the hard drive's capacity and bus type (IDE or SATA), you probably could just look up the laptop manufacturer and model. It's safer to look at the drive manufacturer and model. Do not drop the drive or touch the board!!!!

Buy an external enclosure matching the bus type and capacity (less then $20.00, on sale less than $10.00 free shipping from NewEgg Newegg.com - MASSCOOL UHB-2233 Aluminum 2.5" Black USB 3.0 External Enclosure). Your "friend" may pay for it and then give it to you. You can use as a large capacity USB external drive for backing up your data later... You can also opt for IDE/SATA external connector ($24.00).

Backup his data... or image his drive.... Before you do a fresh/clean/"bare metal" install, you should check the laptop for a recovery partition. If it does, there should be a recovery disc that either came with the laptop or your friend should have created one... also check the BIOS to see if there is a recovery option. The recovery partition restores the laptop to its ship from manufacturer condition. You will have licenses/keys to the software.

When you have his drive mounted. Look for partitions... know what they are (back them up).... you may need them.... but most likely not with your type of problem.

Also, because the recovery/installation DVD gets stuck during the install process the hard drive may be bad... becareful handling it. You may want to check the drive while you have it connected to your computer, run chkdsk or software from manufacturer to look at SMART.

Fresh/clean/bare metal install for laptop: You need drivers for the hardware (check with your friend to see if he has the driver CD/DVD). You may need to download drivers, but have them on hand first. Look for the OS Key (it's may be at the bottom - as with some laptop), your friend may have it... If you don't have the OS key it may cost you to get one.
Obtain an OS DVD, configure the laptop to boot from the DVD and do the install... just install it over the existing "OS" partition - not other partitions that you saw (see above)....

@Gnart - I did your advice, I removed the hard disk and put in a enclosure, and back up the
files to my computer. I formatted all the partitions except the "System Reserved" partition.
I put back the hard disk and install a new windows on it, it successfully booted and I can now run the Setup.
But here's the problem:

I get stuck in the Installing updates phase after the installing features.
I don't know why, I waited almost 2 hours but nothing happens. I repeated the process and still couldn't proceed to "Completing installation" phase.

@Gnart - I did your advice, I removed the hard disk and put in a enclosure, and back up the
files to my computer. I formatted all the partitions except the "System Reserved" partition.
I put back the hard disk and install a new windows on it, it successfully booted and I can now run the Setup.
But here's the problem:

I get stuck in the Installing updates phase after the installing features.
I don't know why, I waited almost 2 hours but nothing happens. I repeated the process and still couldn't proceed to "Completing installation" phase.

I have seen that many times.

First, check to see if it's hardware or software. When you get stuck, press the numlock key to see if the light turn on (if the laptop has a numlock key). If the numlock key light does not turn on then it's a hardware lockup.

Second, the DVD may have timed out due to slow spin up/cycle down and cause a missing hardware interrupt during the installation process. In this case, open the DVD and close it. It may help. The DVD may also be out of alignment.

Third, the hard drive may be bad at specific spot. Did you run check disk when you had it connected to another system. If not, take it out and complete the check disk step. If it's bad just get another drive. Do a full not "quick format" before putting it back into the laptop. Download "SMART" software from the disk's manufacturer's website or 3rd party to look at SMART data to see if the hard drive is failing.

If you still have problems with installing Win7 because the DVD is the problem, then Bing search for how to create a Win7 installation USB and install Win7 via the USB....

If the above step fail, then connect the USB to another system (becareful not to wipe out your own system) an install Win7 on it (do not install any driver and do not activate Win7)... remove and reconnect the drive with Win7 to the laptop and let Windows completes the hardware change. Install drivers, etc.... and activate Win7

Back