Windows 7 Windows 7 install keeps freezing

What video card.

Its a Geforce 275 GTX had it about a month. But have downloaded the latetest drivers.

I do still have my old card which is a geforce 8600 gts. Do you think its worth reinstalling that?

I read somewhere of someone installing windows 7 on their HDD on another computer but moving the HDD back to the intended pc at a certain point. I could try that. But at what point would i have to move the HDD?

Does it have an onboard video? If it does take the card out and try it. Also check your bios settings and make sure if there is an option for floppy drive that it is disabled and that your dvd drive is the first boot device. Are starting from within within vista or booting from the dvd?

What state is your computer in now? No operating system, partial, back to vista? Can you try the usb way to install?

Last edited:
What state is your computer in now? No operating system, partial, back to vista? Can you try the usb way to install?

I have one hdd with vista installed, that's the drive I'm currently trying upgrade with.
And another hdd that I'm using to try clean installs on.

I disconnect which ever drive I'm not using.

What's the USB way? Baring in mind I have the retail disks not a downloaded iso.

Is the other (blank?) hdd formatted or have you used the install option to partition and format it? I'm just guessing here. Everything non essential unplugged and taken out of slots. Like the only things attached are the hdd, keyboard, video and mouse? Can you delete your video in device manager and just tell it to use generic vga drivers?

I would be frustrated myself. I think if I had it here to work on I could get it but it's too hard to try and tell someone all of the different things to try when you can't see it and tweek it yourself.

Is the other (blank?) hdd formatted or have you used the install option to partition and format it? I'm just guessing here. Everything non essential unplugged and taken out of slots. Like the only things attached are the hdd, keyboard, video and mouse? Can you delete your video in device manager and just tell it to use generic vga drivers?

Its blank, i reformatted it using the setup fomat tool. And i also reformatted the whole drive using a self made boot usb tool.

I can try the basic drivers thing. I'll pop in my old graphics car while im at it.

I would be frustrated myself. I think if I had it here to work on I could get it but it's too hard to try and tell someone all of the different things to try when you can't see it and tweek it yourself.

Yeah its a nightmare mate, never had a problem with installing an OS before and i have been doing it since win98.

I agree w/you and I have been doing it since the old dos days.

Hummmm.............. windows 7........ better, faster, runs on older systems............................... unless you don't have a great older system I guess????

I have one hdd with vista installed, that's the drive I'm currently trying upgrade with.
And another hdd that I'm using to try clean installs on.

I disconnect which ever drive I'm not using.

What's the USB way? Baring in mind I have the retail disks not a downloaded iso.

Unetbootin.. or the new utility Microsoft just released a few days ago to help install from usb on laptops.

It's in my blogs.

Well its more than likely my mobo is'nt compatible or has a fault.

I tried the method of plugging my hdd in to another pc and installing up till the first reboot, then putting the hdd back in my pc to continue the install.

Everything ran smoothly on my dads pc. Then it froze on my Pc again after 5 mins of continuing the install.

I then swapped out my graphic card for my older one, made no differance.

I'll just throw this into the mix:

Never mind, it is not appropriate for a clean install.

Last edited:
I wanna thank you all for your help.

I have put a newer mobo/cpu/ram set in and it installed no problem.
There is obviously incompatabilities with certain motherboards.

Cheers guys :p

Hi there... I was googling and found this thread. I have been having the exact same problem.

The installation freeze at "Expanding Windows files 21%" after the first reboot.

I also have the same motherboard (foxconn 975x7ab) which is worrying. Is it purely an incompatible motherboard or is there something that can now be done to get around this?

Just in case others hit this problem...USB worked

I was having this same problem. I'm pretty sure it's my DVD drive. I don't totally understand the differences between DVD+R and DVD-R and all that, but I'm pretty sure my problem was my drive being a bit too old.

So...I was able to following method 6 at this site:
Boot From A USB Flash/Pen/Key Drive

and make a USB drive (I used a 4GB one) bootable, then copied the windows dvd files there. Then, went into the BIOS on the affected machine and made it boot from USB first. Worked perfectly.

One thing, after it installs, make sure to go into the BIOS again and bump down the USB device in the boot sequence, otherwise, it'll feel like an infinite loop and keep asking you to install Windows from the USB :)

Hope this helps someone. Figured I'd post since I spent so many hours in DVD hell. Kept trying new disks, +R, -R, etc, but nothing worked. Go USB if you can, or get a new DVD drive maybe.

Good luck,
Ryan

overclocking? - set everything back to normal/auto quick format and try again.

It usually helps provided it's no hardware issue :cool:

Back