Windows 7 Windows 7 installation crashes before it begins

rav27

Hello all, I've got a big problem.

Before I begin I would like to say that I'm not a native English speaker, so my English isn't perfect. Sorry for that.

I've bought a new PC without Windows 7 installed on it. I thought that installation of Windows 7 can't be really hard. Oh boy, I was wrong.

So the problem is:
I start up my PC with Windows 7 64 bit disc in it. PC is set to boot from CD/DVD. Everything seems to go just fine. I've got the message that "Windows is loading files". It takes a minute and it's done.

Then I get the "Starting Windows" screen and the blueish background pops up. For a moment (it's not even half a second) some kind of dialog box pops up - I think that is the one with title "Install Windows". Then there's a large message saying: "Windows 7 is preparing to install" (or something like that, I'm not using English version so I'm trying to translate all these messages).

This message disapears, for a second you can see this blueish background and then - it crashes. It starts up again and this process goes on and on.

I honestly don't know what's the case.

My setup is:
Code:
CPU: I7 2600K
BR/DVD/CD reader: LG Blu Ray BH10LS30
System HDD: Crucial M4 64GB
HDD: 3 x Samsung F3 1TB
GPU: GTX 580 
Power supply: XFX 650W
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3-B3
RAM: 16 GB ram GOOD RAM (4x4GB)

What I've tried:

- unplug 3 HDDs and leave only Crucial M4 SSD - nothing
- unplug ALL HDDs - nothing
- change in BIOS from IDE to AHCI - nothing
- and some combinations of unpluging and pluging HDD and RAM - (yes, you've guessed it) nothing

I ran the Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool - it showed 0 errors.

Please guys, help me.

P.S. If you don't understand something, feel free to ask, I'll try to answer as fast as I can.

Last edited:
After the install reboots, it goes to a "Select Language" dialog box, then an install box. When you select install, it should go to a set up the hard drive dialog box where you select or set up the partitions. Are you seeing that?

You say you have tried several combinations of Hard drives and memory, but it would be best to limit the memory to as little as possible, and try plugging the hard drive into SATA 2-5, which are the Sata II connectors. The SATA III connectors are supposed to be backward compatible, but to test, maybe try the other. I would probably leave the SSD out until you get it working.

If it is crashing, it is probably because of some hardware device, unless, as Joe suggests, a burned DVD might have some type of file error.

If you can boot to the DVD and get into the Command Prompt, through the Repair my Computer, or hitting Shift+F10 at the second install dialog box, maybe you could find the Setuperr.log, or one of the others mentioned on this Microsoft site.

Did the DVD come with the PC or is this from some other source?

DVD is an original OEM version of Windows 7 64 bit. PC is custom built for my needs.

After the install reboots, it goes to a "Select Language" dialog box, then an install box. When you select install, it should go to a set up the hard drive dialog box where you select or set up the partitions. Are you seeing that?

Nope. After the installation reboots nothing happens, it just crashes again. I don't see any dialog boxes except the one that flashes just before "Windows 7 is preparing to install" (I think that beter translation might be "Windows 7 is begining the installation"). One time it flashes for a bit longer and it's a dialog box with "Install now" function. It flashes like it's some kind of error/bug or something.

You say you have tried several combinations of Hard drives and memory, but it would be best to limit the memory to as little as possible, and try plugging the hard drive into SATA 2-5, which are the Sata II connectors. The SATA III connectors are supposed to be backward compatible, but to test, maybe try the other. I would probably leave the SSD out until you get it working.

I've tried limiting the hardware to maximum: i left only SSD and 1 stick of ram. It didn't help either.
For now I don't want to mess with the hardware too much considering that I might break something.
If it is crashing, it is probably because of some hardware device, unless, as Joe suggests, a burned DVD might have some type of file error.

Thank you for your help and I hope you may come up with some new ideas.

Edit:
I GOT IT!!!

What I've did is:
- go only with 1 RAM and 1 SSD
- turn off the "GSATA3 Controller" in BIOS from Enabled to Disabled
And it worked.

Thank you guys for you help.

Last edited:
Back