Windows 7 Windows 7 Installation No Device Drivers.

matrixyahoo

I bought a new Dell Inspiron with Windows 7 pre-installed two years ago.

Recently, my computer has acquired a computer virus which slows down my computer, redirects select google entries and on my C Drive there are folders with names like "df4f0569299e83f51098af913b749bc2"

I have decided to reinstall Windows 7 using my original authentic Windows 7 CD that came with my Dell laptop. My intention is to keep my data on the hard disk. My DVD / CD drive works.

Before installation is complete I get a message "No device drivers were found. Make sure that the installation media contains the correct drivers".

I see that this message is common after reading various threads. However, I am not so savvy when it comes to technical software, so things like "burning CDs", "upgrade Windows version", "built my own computer", "Bios", "32 bits vs 64" does not apply. Even after reading all the threads I still cannot make heads or tails of the recommended solutions.

So in very laymans' english, can anyone advise what do I need to do to overcome the error message. In summary I simply want to reinstall my Windows 7. I prefer to do this than acquire additional anti virus software etc.

Many thanks,

If you have a Dell, does it have the recovery partition and have you tried the factory reinstall process?

Have you tried removing a virus by running Malwarebytes or some other anti-virus?

Web site redirects may be the result of some toolbar or add-on.

Nothing on the Dell site for reinstalls, or the Dell community?

I have decided to reinstall Windows 7 using my original authentic Windows 7 CD that came with my Dell laptop. My intention is to keep my data on the hard disk.
Before installation is complete I get a message "No device drivers were found. Make sure that the installation media contains the correct drivers".

Hello and welcome to the forum.
As Saltgrass has already indicated, your best bet might be to at least initially attempt to rid yourself of the infection.
Grab a blank CD and this program What is Windows Defender Offline? (get the correct version for your architecture, if as you seem to be indicating you don't even know if you have a 32 or 64 bit version installed, simply click the start orb, right click computer and choose properties. Right in front of you on the basic information screen you should see "System type:" that should say either 64-bit or 32-bit Operating System)
Now if you double click the program that I linked to it will create a bootable CD for you. You can use that CD to boot your system, independent of the Operating System and run a FULL system scan. That should get you going along the correct path to recovery, follow that up with a full system scan with MalwareBytes from here Malwarebytes : Malwarebytes Anti-Malware PRO removes malware including viruses, spyware, worms and trojans, plus it protects your computer (free version) as Saltgrass suggested.
While I can understand you wanting to "keep my data on the hard disk", since you have no idea where the infection is or what the actual nature of the infection might be, you may very well be preserving the infection so that logic is fundamentally flawed. You may want to back up your critical data to a safe external storage location, but even then I would suggest seriously scanning that archive for infection.
Likewise, "I prefer to do this than acquire additional anti virus software". It would seem that whatever you are currently using is / was, not up to the task. Additional or alternative Anti virus, Anti malware, software might be a given.
In so far as the actual error message that you are getting, that might suggest your hard disk controller is set to AHCI mode, rather than Native / IDE / SATA in your system BIOS and thus would require that you install a driver for that controller at the beginning of the Windows 7 installation process. However; if as you state, you do not understand any of those terms it might be difficult to suggest a remedy.
Or
As Saltgrass suggests using the recovery partition, possibly available to you through an F key boot option, or perhaps other recovery disks available to you through your computer manufacturer may be a better solution, as those will likely already contain the drivers needed to successfully complete the installation.
Regards
Randy

Back