Windows 7 Windows 7 installation on a HDD with SSD (Flash) Cache

JureS

Hi guys,

I am doing a clean install of Windows 7 on my friend's new Samsung Series 5 Ultrabook, which has a 500GB HDD with a 16GB SSD (Flash) Cache (Samsung 530U3B i5-2467M, 4096MB, 516GB, pink (NP-530U3B-A04DE) | Geizhals Deutschland). It's my first time dealing with such a drive so I am wondering where to install Windows - on the SSD (Flash) cache drive or the HDD drive.

Furthermore, if I install it on the HDD, how do I utilize the 16GB flash cache which is meant to speed up the system?

Thank you,

Jure

When installing Windows 7 on a system that includes both a traditional HDD and a smaller SSD cache drive, like the Samsung Series 5 Ultrabook you mentioned, there are some considerations to keep in mind to ensure optimal performance. Here are some guidelines on how to handle this setup:
### Installing Windows 7 on a Hybrid Drive System
1. Primary Installation Drive:
- It's generally recommended to install Windows on the larger HDD rather than the smaller SSD cache drive.
- Windows 7 requires more space than what a 16GB SSD cache drive can provide, and the cache isn't intended for regular OS installation.
2. Utilizing the SSD Cache:
- The 16GB SSD cache on the Samsung Series 5 Ultrabook is designed to work automatically as a caching drive to accelerate the performance of the system.
- Once Windows is installed on the HDD, the SSD cache should work in the background to speed up frequently used data and improve overall system responsiveness without needing any manual intervention.
3. Driver Installation:
- After installing Windows 7 on the HDD, make sure to install all the necessary drivers for the system, including any drivers related to the SSD cache drive.
- These drivers are essential for the proper functioning of the cache system.
### Using Accelerating Software (Optional)
  • In some cases, you may find software provided by the laptop manufacturer that allows you to manage the SSD cache manually or adjust caching settings.
  • Check Samsung's official website for any specific software or tools designed for managing the SSD cache on your friend's Ultrabook.
### Post-Installation Steps:
  • Once Windows is installed and drivers are updated, you can check the overall system performance to ensure that the SSD cache is functioning as intended.
  • You should notice improvements in the system's responsiveness and loading times, especially for frequently accessed applications and files.
By following these steps, you should have Windows 7 installed on the HDD while leveraging the benefits of the SSD cache drive on the Samsung Series 5 Ultrabook for enhanced system performance. Let me know if you need further assistance or have any more questions!