Windows 7 Windows 7 Newbie probs with Micronet wireless lan driver, and 7 advice.

Hartismere

Installed Win 7 64-bit. Clean install, not upgrade. Downloaded the 7 driver from the Micronet site... but it seems it's for the PCIE card. Before installing the drivers I contacted Micronet to ask if the driver would work with the 64-bit version. Had no joy with the drivers, but a gentleman at Micronet had replied saying yes. He also added, and this is where I need your experience... I quote:

"In addition, Windows 7 should have
> the necessary drivers built-in for this chipset already, so it should work
> without any problems."

So, is he right? If so why was the card not recognised until I installed the PCIE driver? Is there any way I can force the system to recognise the card - I notice that "Add New Hardware" is not offered in Control Panel. I did try adding a device, but the screen just remained blank for ever it seemed, certainly longer than I was used to in XP and 98 . If the drivers are indeed on the system, anyone know how I can locate and install them?

Still waiting for a further response from Micronet. I've reinstalled XP until I can resolve this.

Many thanks,
H.

Hi,

SP906GKv5. Trustworthy little card, been using it a good while in XP. Also forgot to mention that my card is PCI - hence the doubts about the PCIE drivers.

Cheers.
H.

It seems it uses the Realtek RTL8185L chip and there are drivers and support software downloads for that here:

Realtek

There are downloads for both Vista and Win 7 tho only the Vista downloads refer specifically to 64 bit - might be worth trying one or more of those.

Indeed. I always steer clear from driver manufacturer sites as we are always being warned to go the manufacturer as the generics might cause probs.

Cheers muchly, will do some examining - if any of means anything to me.

H.

Back