Windows 7 Windows 7 not sharing printer to xp pc

belveder

Extraordinary Member
My main pc is using Windows 7 64 bit build 7100, my kids pc is using XP Pro. Previously we had the networking with my main pc using Vista working perfectly, the XP pc could print on the printer connected to my pc, since I put Windows 7 on this pc I have the networking with file sharing etc working great but cannot get the XP pc to be able to print anymore. The printer is an Epson RX690 Any help would be appreciated

Is the printer on the W7 marked as shared? Did you delete the printer and then re-establish the printer from the XP machine?

Printer sharing is turned on, but I can't find an option on the printer itself for sharing. Ideleted the printer on the xp pc but can't find it again

tried and I get a box coming up with "Printer settings could not be saved. Operation could not be completed (error 0x000006d9)

Well, that's clearly not good, is it!

Have you tried deleting, re-booting, and re-installing the printer?

Last edited:
The other day my wife's laptop decided to stop booting up. It originally came with Vista x86 Home Premium but she hated it so I fixed it up to Dualboot XP x86 Home too. I ended up having to repair Vista and the recovery drive with my Vista disk and reinstall XP from scratch.

When I tried to connect XP to the printer on my W7 x64 version 7100 machine the "Add a Printer Wizard" couldn't find the printer. So I called up the network on the XP machine then clicked on "View workgroup computers" then clicked on the W7 machine. It took a while but it finally showed all the shares. Among them was the printer.

I did this because it was one of the steps "Jimbo45" suggested in his post on the other forum.

But then I thought to try the "Right Click" and see if there was an option to connect to it there. Sure enough there was. So I clicked on it and it asked if I wanted to install a driver from the other machine. I said yes and then it came back saying it couldn't load the driver from the W7 machine because it was a different format.

The w7 machine is x64 and the XP machine is x86.

But it asked if I wanted to browse for the driver. I clicked yes and it came up with another dialogue wanting to check on my CD drive. I put in the software CD for my Printer and it found and loaded the driver. It works now.

My printer is an HP PSC 1350v.

It seems to me like what it needed to do was call up all the shares on the W7 machine to find the printer. In "My Network Places" it only shows the shared folders. Then when I clicked on "View workgroup computers" and then the W7 machine it finally found the printer too.

That's just a guess on my part. Maybe after it found the printer on the network the "Add a Printer Wizard" would have worked.

Don't get mad but if you're having problems it's probably because of XP. It's been my experience that XP has problems with networking while Vista and W7 network well.

Just curios if anyone has tried it the other way around -- hosting the printer on an XP Pro box and sharing the printer with a Vista Home Premium machine and a Win7 (Build 7100) machine?

I'm just curious if it's possible as I may need to go that route for a few months. Thank you. :)

I have shared a printer with Vista from XP x64 Edition and it worked well.

Windows 7 downloaded the printer software through Windows Update and it works. I never shared one with W7 from XP but I would hazard a guess that it'll be fine. Vista and W7 both seem to network very well.

Plus W7 shares with XP just fine for me. The only problem was the drivers but I explained that in my earlier post.

I have shared a printer with Vista from XP x64 Edition and it worked well.

Windows 7 downloaded the printer software through Windows Update and it works. I never shared one with W7 from XP but I would hazard a guess that it'll be fine. Vista and W7 both seem to network very well.

Plus W7 shares with XP just fine for me. The only problem was the drivers but I explained that in my earlier post.

Cool...okay, thanks for the feedback, stuey. :)

Back
Top Bottom