Windows 7 Windows 7 on Acer M1201 2nd HD

laruechris

I would like to install Windows 7 (as a Christmas present because it is faster and more stable) on my Dad's Acer M1201 on a second drive (already installed, connected to motherboard and functioning) and keep Vista for booting on the original drive just for insurance. Is this the proper procedure to follow? It should be compatible since it has a 1.86 processor and 4G ram and 512 PCIe video card. Is this the proper procedure to follow?

1. format 2nd drive NTFS

2. install Bios for Acer M1201
Acer Support: Downloads & Support Documents - Desktop / Aspire / Aspire M1201

3. install this version of Windows 7 on 2nd drive
Amazon.com: Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit (Full) System Builder DVD 1 Pack: Software

4. install drivers. Will Windows 7 find drivers needed or do I need to have them downloaded and on a flash drive to make everything workable?

Thank you,
Chris

You don't normally have to pre-format a drive. The install will do that, usually.

The bios you link seems to be from 2009. Is that an upgrade to the one currently on the machine? If it is, does it contain some upgrade needed for Windows 7?

There is an upgrade advisor you can run to see if Windows 7 will be compatible.

Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor - Download - Microsoft Windows

Windows 7 has many drivers, but it is always good to check to see if any newer ones are available.

If you install Windows 7 in the configuration it appears to be, the boot files for Windows 7 may be placed on the Vista drive. Is that a problem? You may be able to install it now so the installs are independent, or you could change the boot files later, after you might decide to remove the Vista drive.

I have not installed an OEM version of software, so perhaps someone else knows something about that.

You don't normally have to pre-format a drive. The install will do that, usually.
Great, thank you.

The bios you link seems to be from 2009. Is that an upgrade to the one currently on the machine? If it is, does it contain some upgrade needed for Windows 7?
The link I gave to Acer's site is for the original Bios. I don't believe it is for 7.
I did find another link to a page that has a separate Bios just for Windows 7. Should I download and flash that version to the motherboard? Or will it make the machine so it is not dual boot, which was my goal.

Acer Aspire M1201 Windows Vista & 7 Drivers | Laptop Software

There is an upgrade advisor you can run to see if Windows 7 will be compatible.

Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor - Download - Microsoft Windows
Thank you.

Windows 7 has many drivers, but it is always good to check to see if any newer ones are available.

If you install Windows 7 in the configuration it appears to be, the boot files for Windows 7 may be placed on the Vista drive. Is that a problem? You may be able to install it now so the installs are independent, or you could change the boot files later, after you might decide to remove the Vista drive.
I was hoping to keep the machiine dual boot so I could keep Vista, just for insurance. This is my Dad's machine and he has some software that may not be compatible with 7 so I wanted to keep Vista to go back to, just in case.

I have not installed an OEM version of software, so perhaps someone else knows something about that.

Thank you for the help!

The machine will still be dual boot, a problem will only arise if you decide to remove the Vista drive later.

Bios updates are OS independent, except for the installation method. If you want to update the bios, you can always use Vista, or DOS, depending on your system.

Make very sure where you choose to install Windows 7 during the install process. You don't want to overwrite the Vista install. If you want to partition the Windows 7 drive, do that during the install.

Have you made any type of image backup of the Vista install, or can you reinstall it if something goes wrong?

The machine will still be dual boot, a problem will only arise if you decide to remove the Vista drive later.

Bios updates are OS independent, except for the installation method. If you want to update the bios, you can always use Vista, or DOS, depending on your system.

Make very sure where you choose to install Windows 7 during the install process. You don't want to overwrite the Vista install. If you want to partition the Windows 7 drive, do that during the install.
I will be very careful to use the 2nd physical drive letter and not the C drive

Have you made any type of image backup of the Vista install, or can you reinstall it if something goes wrong?
I have recovery DVDs that I made when Dad got the machine plus I am going to use Macrium reflect to back up Vista before the install just in case. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom