Windows 7 Windows 7 Pro x64 - Programs not saving own preferences

Warpy

Hi all,

I notice on my new installed Windows 7 Pro 64 bits that some programs do not save their preferences (options), as when I close and run them again the new preferences are still the old ones instead of the changed.

---------------------------
EDIT 20091122: I correct myself, only the file associations preferences the program can set are the ones that are not saved.
---------------------------

I try also on another fresh x64 installation with the same results.

Here is what happens with 7-zip file archiver (GNU-LGPL license), I am logged into an admin account, run the program, select Tools | Options | System (none are marked if new installation), press "Select all" button, then "Ok", close the program, run it again and recheck the Options to see if the file extensions are all still marked.

7-zip 32 bit version
On the second run all the file extensions are still marked​

7-zip x64 bit version
On the second run none of the file extensions are marked !!!​
But if on the first run I execute it with "Run As Administrator" (right click) then on the second run (just double click) the options are preserved.​

A similar issue happens with Notepad-plus (only x86 compilation available), but this time the options are preserved only if on the second run I "Run As Admin" again.

It seems more or less that the options are stored on a place were a user logged as admin cannot write on, and were the "Run As Admin" configuration is not located in the same place of an admin user.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
You are running another zip program beside the Windows one for what reason?

You can't expect both programs to write the same informationn between the 32-bit ver and 64-biy vversion/

Each one saves information in it's own file or registry.

You are running another zip program beside the Windows one for what reason?

No, I still open the zips with the Windows one, I use 7z for rar, gz, tar and other types.

You can't expect both programs to write the same informationn between the 32-bit ver and 64-biy vversion/
Each one saves information in it's own file or registry.

Sorry, maybe I do not explain myself clearly. I am not talking about the fact the 32 or the 64 bits has different preferences, I can understand that. Forget about the 32 bit version, which runs as expected. What I mean is that the 64 bit one does *not* save its *own* prefs. when I run it even being an Admin user, it only saves them when "run as" admin.

Even more, forget about 7-zip too, it was just an example just in case anyone want to try it and reproduce the problem, which shortly is that some programs, running inside an admin account under Windows 7 x64 does not save their own preferences.

Thanks for your help.

Your setting must be totally different than mine, I turn of everything that is not necessary.

I never have to use run as admin.

Um, I correct myself, only the file associations preferences the program can set are the ones that are not saved.

I believe the 32-bit saves preferences in one location an another 64-bit saves in another location..

Try setting the exact same options and see if the settings are held.

Back