ryanI

I have a prebuilt HP computer that I have upgraded the video card and PSU computer is only about a year old. Just recently I have been getting random shutdown and reboot, there is no blue screen or error when it reboots. It does it at random times watching movie, browsing internet, playing games. When it reboots it goes through the POST screen with no errors and I didn't hear any beeps, instead of loading windows it loads a black screen that states at the top "ENTER BOOT IMAGE: 0.." you can enter the numbers 0,1,2,3; but when you type a number or just wait it locks up and have to hard restart to get it to reboot. It does this in a continuous loop.
This is the steps I have tried:
1. Repair using the windows 7 disk
2. restore to a time before I had troubles.
3. Updating all drivers(after the problem first happened)
4. Virus Scan the entire system all files

the only thing that does work and gets it to reboot and act like nothing ever happened
from the command prompt in the win 7 disk
type the three following commands:
bootrec.exe /fixmbr
bootrec.exe /fixboot
bootrec.exe /RebuildBcd
after those three i close and restart and it works fine. This problem has been troubling me only seems to be once a day for the past 4 days.
I would like to fix this without a clean Install, and please tell me why it works for about a day then happens again.

Solution
The issue you are experiencing with your HP computer, where it randomly shuts down and reboots without any error messages, could be caused by a variety of factors. Based on the symptoms you described, it seems like there might be an issue with the boot configuration of your system that is temporarily resolved by using the bootrec commands.
Here are some possible reasons for the problem and steps you can take to address it:
### Possible Causes:
1. Corrupted Boot Configuration: The fact that using bootrec commands temporarily resolves the issue suggests that there might be a problem with your boot configuration data.

2. Driver or Software Conflict: Upgrading components like the video card and PSU can sometimes lead to...
The issue you are experiencing with your HP computer, where it randomly shuts down and reboots without any error messages, could be caused by a variety of factors. Based on the symptoms you described, it seems like there might be an issue with the boot configuration of your system that is temporarily resolved by using the bootrec commands.
Here are some possible reasons for the problem and steps you can take to address it:
### Possible Causes:
1. Corrupted Boot Configuration: The fact that using bootrec commands temporarily resolves the issue suggests that there might be a problem with your boot configuration data.

2. Driver or Software Conflict: Upgrading components like the video card and PSU can sometimes lead to conflicts with existing drivers or software, causing stability issues.
### Steps to Resolve the Issue:
1. Check Hardware Connections: Ensure that the upgrades (video card and PSU) are correctly installed and all cables are securely connected. Loose connections can sometimes lead to unexpected shutdowns.
2. Update BIOS: Check if there are any BIOS updates available for your HP computer. Sometimes, updating the BIOS can resolve compatibility issues and improve system stability.
3. Check for Overheating: Monitor the temperature of your system components, especially the CPU and GPU, to rule out overheating as a cause of the random shutdowns.
4. Run System File Checker (SFC): Use the System File Checker tool to scan and repair corrupted system files that may be causing the issue. You can do this by opening a Command Prompt as an administrator and running the command sfc /scannow.
5. Check Event Viewer: Look into the Event Viewer logs (Event Viewer > Windows Logs > System) to see if there are any error messages or warnings around the time of the shutdowns. This can provide more insight into the root cause.
6. Perform a Clean Boot: Try performing a clean boot to diagnose if any third-party software or services are causing the problem. Instructions for performing a clean boot can be found on Microsoft's website.
7. Check for Windows Updates: Ensure that your Windows 7 operating system is up to date with the latest updates from Microsoft. Sometimes, updates can address known issues and improve system stability.
8. Consider System Restore: If the issue started after a specific event (like a recent software installation), you may want to consider performing a System Restore to a point before the problem began.
9. Monitor System Performance: Use tools like Task Manager to monitor system performance and resource usage, especially around the time of the shutdowns.
### Why It Works Temporarily:
The fact that using the bootrec commands temporarily resolves the issue suggests that there might be an intermittent problem with your boot configuration data. By repairing the Master Boot Record (fixmbr), Boot Sector (fixboot), and rebuilding the Boot Configuration Data (RebuildBcd), you are essentially resetting the boot configuration to a stable state. However, if the underlying issue causing the corruption is not addressed, it may resurface after some time.
If the problem persists, you may need to consider more in-depth troubleshooting steps or seek assistance from a professional technician to diagnose the root cause of the issue.

Solution
Back