Windows 7 Windows 7 random freezes?

starterz

I have an Acer Aspire 5737Z laptop, with Windows 7 RTM installed. The system is working good and fast (DVD, video, media center, web etc.) apart from random freezes occuring once almost every day. Most of the time I am not even at the computer, it just freezes while I am at work, with uTorrent the only extra process running.

Since I got the computer (15 days ago), the hdd (500GB) has been making some strange noises even when the machine is idle...it just seems to read/write something (the led lights too) every 4-5 seconds. I checked the Event Viewer and I got this message 5 times in a row from 3 days ago - The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk1\DR1. My only hdd is WDC WD5000BEVT-22ZAT0 ATA Device (from Device Manager).

I have installed chipset and graphics drivers from Nvidia, latest versions for Windows 7.

Could someone help in a matter to determine if the random freezes are connected to this error, and if the hdd/controller/cable is somehow failing? I have A LOT of very important stuff on the drive, please share your advice. I will be doing backups the whole day tomorrow nevertheless.

First, backup NOW, do not wait.

Next, downloadData Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows or for DOS (CD) if you can burn a CD

Run the diagnostics to be sure it is not a problem with the Hard Drive. Any noise coming from a HDD, clicking, scraping or otherwise odd noise is bad. Constant Spin up/Spin Down is an issue though, not completely common however.

This is probably not a memory related issue,, but it is still good to check.
Run Windows Memory Diags. They should run for no less than 4 to 6 hours up to 8 (when they start hit "t" to run extended tests). One or several passes is not good enough to tell you it is ok if there is no failure. If there is a failure, then the memory is bad.

This could also be caused by flaky software. Check Task Manager Processes for any high CPU spikes.
Or see if you can notice a cpu spike with HDD activity.

Yes, drivers could also be the problem. Even the vista drivers may not work. The system may not be 7 ready.

Back
Top Bottom