Windows 7 Windows 7 RTM x64 slow trasfer speed

sup3r1or

Windows 7 RTM x64 slow data transfer speeds

Greetings,

I'm experiencing weird problems, I have Windows 7 64bit RTM (latest) installed, with latest critical updates from MSDN.
Now I have 2 HDD's 500 GB one is split into 2 drives C (200GB) D (the rest) and the other drive is full 500GB for my media files.

Now today I wanted to trasfer movie folder from my last drive to D drive, the size is 144GB it took me over 2 hours. That has never happened on vista, on vista I trasfered 390 GB in under 1 hour, andf I was still able to watch tv show.

On 7 I cant even use search in start menu when Im copying, how can sata 2 give 50mb/sec trasfer rate? that is impossible.

Its not raid hook up, just normal. AHCI mode.

Anyone has any solutions? this is rediculous.

Last edited:
Hi sup3r1or,
when you installed 7, was a upgrade or full install? If it was an upgrade try a clean install as we've had many posts from users experienceing problems after upgrading and a clean install is usually the fix..
If that isn't the case, try running chkdsk with the box ticked to repair broken sectors.
Also, what are your drivers like, especially chipset? Are they the latest versions available?

Lastly, check my screenshot. I'm sure you've probably got these ticked but if not, try it as it can improve performance..

Kemical

My hard drives are new WD Caviar Black 7200 Rpm 500GB each, 1 is split into C and D and another one is just one drive 500gb. I do not use raid, just regular sata connection, bios is set to AHCI.

My mobo is gigabyte GA-EP35C-DS3R, windows is done through clean install I have never upgraded my installs.

The ticks are there? Any other suggestions

Thanks for the info sup3r1or..

What about the sata driver? Is it the latest version?

Link Removed - Invalid URL

Also is your bios the latest version too?

Kemical,

Regarding the sata driver, well I never updated it, since this RTM version already had all the drivers in it, the thing that hesistates me from updating is that mobo has 2 SATA chips one from intel another one from Gigabyte and Im not sure which one is working. (Im pretty sure not both). I had it working the same way in Vista but, never had any problems like this one.

Why not check your device manager to see which one is working? You could update the friver through Device manager too..

I know this is a bit obvious (but easy to miss) but on the back of the SATA HD is a switch to flip it from 150 to 300 (SATA1 to SATA II) do you know if this is in the correct position? (if your HDD is configured that way of course)

It's in the same position as when i had good performance before i installed win 7 so they are in sata II mode, thanks for the suggestion though, this problem as i see it is software based

Hi Davst,
Try downloading the latest driver version from here:

Remember to use a vista driver if a 7 one isn't present..

Installed the drivers from intel (There is one for Win 7 which is nice btw.)

Was hoping this was the missing link but I did a 8 gigabyte copy to test it

From C: to D:, both NTFS, newly formatted according to what Windows 7 wanted (with that 200mb system partition and so)

Average copy speed was still 16-18 mb per second, and opening a web browser while copying took well over 2 minutes, same with page loads took very long and got the occasional few seconds of not responding.

All in this time the ram usage was never over 1.67GB and CPU usage never went over 25% while browsing the net (Except once or twice while the browser was booting)

For testing purposes i tried this in Firefox and Chrome with the same general crap browsing results.

These problems kind of bring you back to the days of Windows 95/98 where there was no true multitasking.

Anyways, the tip about the chipset driver was great, didn't know it was out since gigabyte hadn't updated their site..

Sorry to hear that wasn't the fix...

What about running chkdsk and ticking the box to repair bad sectors?

Also, what about the mobo bios? Is it the latest version?

Having the same problem, this isn't a hardware problem and it didn't happen in the beggining. Seagate 1.5tb, that i thought it was defective, it's new, but just installed the previous drive WD640 and the transfer speeds remain, always below 10mb\s after some time.

To be honest file transfer speeds in vista were truly awful. They have improved it in 7 but it's still not as good as xp was..

There are tips and tricks though and although this page is originally for vista, it should still work for 7..

Back