Windows 7 Windows 7 Upgrade Problem

npriv

Hi folks,

I've created a problem for myself and I'm hoping there's an easy way out. Last year, I purchased Win 7 Pro upgrade over XP. Everything installed perfectly, no issues.

Two months ago my hard drive started running out of space, so I replaced it with a bigger one. I did a clean installation of Win 7 using the upgrade CD without remembering that I needed to first install XP. I'm not sure why it even let me do this, but it did.

Today, a window popped up saying I have to activate Windows 7 in order to continue using it. That's when I figured out that I skipped a rather crucial step. Is there any way to install XP "underneath" my Win 7 installation without having to erase everything and start from scratch?

Thanks!
Nicole

Last edited:
Hi Nicole and welcome to the forums.
I suppose the best and shortest answer to your question is no. Not exactly sure how you got to where you are now since the upgrade process usually does a compliance check before the install to make sure there is a previous version of a Windows OS installed.
If the activation process is failing for you then you will need to contact their support system usually the third option for activation. Explain to them exactly what you have explained in your post and I suspect they will get you up and running in short order. I have presented some pretty bizzare scenarios to them in the past and have always found them to be very understanding and helpful in resoving my issues. They may ask for the product key from your previous OS, but I'm sure if you can show them that everything is on the up and up you'll get a satisfactory resolution in no time.
There is actually some documentation out there regarding clean installs using upgrade media Link Removed due to 404 Error but I think you're well past that now.
Thanks for joining the forum and we hope to continue to see you around. Please keep us posted.
Best Wishes
Randy

Thanks so much Randy. Is is sad that I just assumed Microsoft support would be no help? :) I will give them a call and let you know what happens.

Okay, well I wouldn't say it was easy, but Microsoft did help me get this mess straightened out without having to start all over. Support transferred me to activation, transferred me to support, transferred me to activation, transferred me to support, which finally transferred me to the "Windows 7 setup team". They were the ones with the answers! Thanks again to Randy for the reply!

Thanks for the followup and glad to hear that you were able to resolve your issues. Sorry it wasn't quite as easy as it probably should have been. Hope to continue to see you around the forums.

Back