Windows 7 Windows 7 very laggy!

rishabhb

Hi,

I have installed Windows 7 build 7077 on my LG R400 with the following specs: 1.86GHz Core 2 Duo/Dual Core processor, 2.5 GB DD2 667MHz RAM, ATI x2300 (128 MB VRAM). However it has lagged massively, I couldnt possibly downgrade to a previous build so I upgraded to build 7100 but the lag did not go away. I am not sure why this is, it doesnt lag when I have 2-3 windows open but when I am working and I have 5-6 Word Documents, 2 Excels, a PowerPoint and the lag just comes so often. One of the office applications stops responding every 2 minutes or so, and it stays that way for up to 30 seconds at a time. I am wondering why this is happening and how to make it go away, I really like Windows 7 other than this.

Note: I did not do a fresh install, instead I upgraded from Vista Ultimate because I need LG Intelligent Update to install my drivers if I do a fresh install and it only works in XP or Vista (compatibility mode set to XP or Vista doesn't work either).

Thanks alot

Really, what I would suggest is using a program like Driver Magician to back up all drivers to a thumb drive, then doing a clean install. Your problem is more than likely from the upgrade process, as I have a lower specced laptop, and am achieving much better results (I can do all those things you listed, plus play a movie and still not get lag like you're describing.

Turion 64-x2 @ 1.6 GHz
2.5 GB 667 MHz RAM
NVidia Geforce Go 6100 128 MB.

So you need to clean install, and backing up drivers will allow you to do that.

Yea, Kyle's right, the upgrade route is not the way to go.

You end up with hundreds of files left over that are of no use whatsoever.

If you've been doing this upgrade route for all newer builds you install, check in the root of the C: drive for a directory named windows.old. As many upgrades as you might have done, there may be a windows.old.old, windows.old.bak.:D

Also when was the last time you defragmented your c: drive?

Ahh, just save your inportant files and do the "clean" install.

You will have to re-install all 3rd party applications as the pointers will no longer exist in the registry. Standalone apps that require no installation will continue to work (as an example Sysinternals Utilities)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back