Windows 7 Windows 7 will not update

MadDad

The wife's laptop hardly used, and been setting and has been setting for about 7 months. She finally decided she wants to learn/use it. I have been trying to get everything updated, and a few programs automatically popped up for updates and were successfully. However I can't get the Windows updates to run it says, Windows update can't check for updates because the service in not running. Try rebooting. That didn't work
I ran MrFixitit, another fix from microsoft and nada. I checked the services and the update one is running and on auto. I tried shutting it off and back on, set it to run automatically and auto with delay. Rebooting between any change. My update restart button finger is getting worn out Help!!

The computer has only been on line 7 months ago to update the programs, including win7 and has no virus's.

First thing, stop trying to fix it.

Windows Update will take its own sweet time doing some updates. Hopefully nothing has gotten messed up, so let it go a few days and see what happens. After seven months, there are quite a few updates....

If you want, you can copy the WindowsUpdate.log from the Windows folder to the desktop. Copy the last few days of entries and then paste into notepad and zip and attach using the paperclip. If something is going wrong, maybe someone will see what it might be.

Call Microsoft. Have your receipts and else at hand, you'll get an answer in two minutes.

First thing, stop trying to fix it.

Windows Update will take its own sweet time doing some updates. Hopefully nothing has gotten messed up, so let it go a few days and see what happens. After seven months, there are quite a few updates....

If you want, you can copy the WindowsUpdate.log from the Windows folder to the desktop. Copy the last few days of entries and then paste into notepad and zip and attach using the paperclip. If something is going wrong, maybe someone will see what it might be.

Being impatient I sent this to several forums. Windows seven forums pointed me to a batch file "reset_windows_update_full.bat which did the trick. Thanks for trying though.

Back