Windows 7 Windows 7 with a Vista boot screen

gaitch32

Ok, I caused it but I am wondering if anybody ever heard of this and if I can change it back.

I am running windows 7 and I booted into safe mode to do a sfc /scannow. I was having another small issue and thought that I would just do that to check if it would fix it. After I rebooted I got a boot menu that said that I have Windows 7 and Vista installed and I should pick which OS I wanted. This was upgraded from Vista. I picked Windows 7 and it couldn’t find it. Tried again and picked Vista and it couldn’t find it either. That wasn’t good. I had a Vista recovery disk from Neosmart and tried that. It booted on that and detected right away that there was an issue and offered to fix it. I let it and when it rebooted, I got the Vista startup screen but it was my Windows 7 that I ended up with. It couldn’t be any different because that is all that is on it.

I am assuming that because I used a Vista disk for the repair is why that happed but when I try to now use a Windows 7 recovery disk, it doesn’t change back. Not that it is really important, but wondering if I can change it back. Otherwise, I guess as long as it is working, not going to worry about it.

Last edited:
You cold just boot into the WinRe (recovery environment) from an F8 key possibly, or boot to a recovery CD or install DVD and in the Repair the computer options is a command window. Use that and type the following.

Bootrec /rebuildbcd

This should rebuild the Boot senario. Instructions for Bootrec are here.

If you want to see what it looks like now, you can open an administrative command prompt and type BCDedit to see how it is set up. You could also edit it yourself if you wanted to go that direction.

OK here is what I get.

C:\Users\Greg>^VBCDedit
'▬BCDedit' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\Greg>BCDedit

Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier {bootmgr}
device partition=C:
path \bootmgr
description Windows Boot Manager
locale en-US
inherit {globalsettings}
default {current}
resumeobject {96ce6ae1-85ab-11df-8d11-c869802f9997}
displayorder {current}
toolsdisplayorder {memdiag}
{572bcd56-ffa7-11d9-aae0-0007e994107d}
timeout 30

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {current}
device partition=C:
path \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description Windows 7 Ultimate (recovered)
recoverysequence {96ce6ae3-85ab-11df-8d11-c869802f9997}
recoveryenabled Yes
osdevice partition=C:
systemroot \Windows
resumeobject {24c67bc9-8329-11e0-aaa4-806e6f6e6963}

C:\Users\Greg>

crap, right? Nothing that is telling me it is hot.........

The attachment is what you should have. The reference to a Harddisk is because of the small partition, and the numbers will of course be different.

The reason you are seeing a Vista boot is probably because you have the (Recovered) on your Windows 7 entry.

Have you done the Bootrec command yet. Make note the instructions talk about deleting the original BCD Store if you do not get a good replacement.

Edit: And if that doesn't work, we can replace the entire boot system, or you can download EasyBCD version 2 or above and let it set up the boot for you.

Attachments

• BCD Store.GIF
    BCD Store.GIF
    9.9 KB · Views: 769
Last edited:
Back