Windows 7 Windows 7 x64 chkdsk every time i start my computer

Tommy2jz

Everyday i shut down my computer properly.

Each time I start it up again, it runs check disk . It's rather annoying since it takes about 10mins to complete before my computer finishes booting up.

Is this a windows 7 bug or is my HDD showing signs of hardware failure?

Thanks in advance

(Windows 7 Pro RTM x64)

chkdsk

You are not alone. I have the same problem. Have you tried inserting CD and executing recovery console?
-Chachimus

I fixed the problem but it takes some time.

I got the solution here. Windows 7 and chkdsk on boot

Good luck!

This sometimes worked on XP and should also work on Vista or Windows 7.

Click on Start then Run , type cmd and press Enter . Next type fsutil dirty query x: where x: is your boot drive. This queries the drive, and more than likely it will tell you that it is dirty.

Next, type chkntfs /x c: . The X tells Windows to NOT check that particular drive on the next reboot. Now manually reboot your computer, it should not do a chkdsk and should take you directly to normal Windows login.

Once Windows has fully loaded, bring up another Command Prompt and enter chkdsk c: /r . Reply Y when asked if you want this to happen on the next boot. This should take you through 5 stages of the chkdsk scan and will unset that dirty bit. This can take an hour or more depending on the size of your hard drive, be patient and let it complete.

Once booted back to Windows, open another Command Prompt and query the dirty bit again by entering fsutil dirty query c: and Windows will confirm that the dirty bit is not set on that drive.

Of all the forums I have read on this bug, this solution is the one that works. It happened exactly as you said, Tommy2jz, and the problem is gone. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom