Windows 7 Windows 7's final name is...

"..brought down Vista.." ??

Vista is down?

Could somebody please outline what that means? We can't seem to find much to complain about the Vista OS on our company or home machines, PCs and laptops.

Sometimes I think this Windows 7 beta and final release schema is more about seizing on, or nurturing, a negative perception of the current OS just to sell a new one in a down world-wide market.

Vista is down because it has been an utter failure and Steve Balmer even said that it was a failure. Lets face it, only consumers are getting vista because oems are forcing down their throats and the oems make it hard to get the XP drivers for the newer laptops. Sometimes 2nd party drivers that are custom work, other times their are no drivers available like for esata on some laptops. Corporate IT deparments will just nuke Vista and either use 2000 or XP. I see alot of companies that still use 2000 for some reason. I myself being a tech person like Vista but I also never do an upgrade I always purchase the full edition or the OEM version of the full edition from a local pc store. I think it is best to always do a clean install and nuke all the partitations and then recreate the partitions and format them. Then install the os, then any service packs, then the drivers, then the windows updates, then the programs. Then I might decide to do a ghost image but usually i just do bother with an image I just usally redo it all.

ok i am going to say this only once. VISTA was a GREAT OS. software and driver makers are retarded because they clearly did not follow guidelines for the new os. That is the reason vista gets criticism. IT's not that the OS sucks but that the stupid software designers didnt follow the rules.

Heres the problem with midori in the past that i have run into. Our interent speed in todays society the internet speed is not fast enough to keep up with the OS. If thehy want to take the OS to the cloud like they are wanting to do with midori we have to improve internet speeds ten fold and i cannot see us doing that in the next ten years. That is my reasoning behind this.

Europe has high speed internet that is 10 times faster then the USA. Verizon in NJ offers Fios with up to 150mb connections. I also heard of a women in europe who has the fastest internet connection in the world, her nephew works for cisco and she can download then entire internet in 2 minutes. She is like 75 years old...

STOCKHOLM (AP) â€â€￾ She is a latecomer to the information superhighway, but 75-year-old Sigbritt Lothberg is now cruising the Internet with a dizzying speed. Lothberg's 40 gigabits-per-second fiber-optic connection in Karlstad is believed to be the fastest residential uplink in the world, Karlstad city officials said.

In less than 2 seconds, Lothberg can download a full-length movie on her home computer â€â€￾ many thousand times faster than most residential connections, said Hafsteinn Jonsson, head of the Karlstad city network unit.
Jonsson and Lothberg's son, Peter, worked together to install the connection.
The speed is reached using a new modulation technique that allows the sending of data between two routers placed up to 1,240 miles apart, without any transponders in between, Jonsson said.
"We wanted to show that that there are no limitations to Internet speed," he said.

Peter Lothberg, who is a networking expert, said he wanted to demonstrate the new technology while providing a computer link for his mother.
"She's a brand-new Internet user," Lothberg said by phone from California, where he lives. "She didn't even have a computer before."
His mother isn't exactly making the most of her high-speed connection. She only uses it to read Web-based newspapers.
Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Yes but lets put it into perspective where is most of Microsoft's OS's used? Oh Yeah the United States. What a shock. So you see it is still a big deal and microsoft would never go forward with it until most people in the world have OS's fast enough to keep up with it. Just think of all the people still on dialup connections that use windows pcs.

Microsoft trys to target everyone in every region. I can't see them going through with it until the speeds of internet in the U.S. reach 40-50 mbps. They currently only are at 10 mbps and 15 in some places. So i'm sorry its unrealistic to see this happening in the next ten years.

VISTA was a GREAT OS. software and driver makers are retarded because they clearly did not follow guidelines for the new os.

Vista was PANTS!
It had way to much graphics, this used up 1GB of ram with no programs running!
Takes longer to boot and reboot than XP.
The security asked for permission virtually every time you clicked on something.

these reasons ultimatly slow down your computer which can cause problems when running programs.
the whole point of an os is to make your computer WORK.
Vista failed miserably at that!

Vista was PANTS!
The security asked for permission virtually every time you clicked on something.

these reasons ultimatly slow down your computer which can cause problems when running programs.
the whole point of an os is to make your computer WORK.
I was running VISTA on a Celeron D 1.6 GHz processor with 1 GB RAM oh and a built in crap graphics car. Oh and i never had a problem. I usually had 6-8 programs running from games to office documents. Vista ran great without anything installed on it. When it had stuff like turbo tax, and firefox installed it slowed it down majorly. I never had more than 320MB of ram used when no programs were open. Im sorry to say that what ur saying was definately not the case for my dinosaur computer.

Vista ran great without anything installed on it. When it had stuff like turbo tax, and firefox installed it slowed it down majorly.

Exactly what i was saying! no other os has this problem!:razz:

I never had more than 320MB of ram used when no programs were open. Im sorry to say that what ur saying was definately not the case for my dinosaur computer.

Maybe but i didn't have this experience, vista slowed my computer down to absoute bottom.

"Vista is down because it has been an utter failure and Steve Balmer even said that it was a failure."

LOL.. well, it sure is not a failure on any of our machines.

They want to sell W7.

Vista is fine and will remain on our computers for as long as it is supported, although we will have at least one laptop in the house with W7 on it. ;)

Vista is the best Windows release yet. The hope is that 7 will live up to it. Calling Vista a "failure" is to succumb to the 7 hype. Happy hyping. :D

Exactly what i was saying! no other os has this problem!:razz:

Maybe but i didn't have this experience, vista slowed my computer down to absoute bottom.

Woody The reason the software made vista run slow is because the people who wrote the software made it incorrectly. That is the point i have been trying to get across. As it shows VISTA ran great until those people installed software and crashed it because they didnt follow the rules. Thank You for confirming my argument about VISTA not being the problem.

"thousand times faster is an expression in the business world meaning the product flat out beats it predecessors. I am real you just need to learn expressions and their meanings."
Iroken22,
What business world would that be? I've worked in project management for many years and that's a new one to me.

I have worked and been a part of many different organizations. It is not an expression used daily but it does come around once in a while. People may be from a different part of the world than i am in but in illinois that is a known business term.

Personally I like the number in the name. Besides the number seven is good luck and the day I was born. But seriously the numbers are they way to go.

Progress goes upwards - doesn't it?

Vista was PANTS!
these reasons ultimately slow down your computer which can cause problems when running programs.
the whole point of an OS is to make your computer WORK.

I graduated to third generation computing with an IBM 486SX, Windows 3.1, 4Mb RAM and 170MB HDD No CD. and that computer did everything I wanted it to do at a speed I was happy with. The only grief it gave me was in trying to communicate with other computers.
I ended up with a home built Intel quad-core, XP Pro, 3Gb RAM and 2 TB HDD's and all the bells and whistles and it still did everything I wanted at a speed I was happy with but I got distracted a lot more. Along comes Vista HP and I became frustrated with all the interruptions whilst I was trying to work instead of nurse a computer and most of my hardware didn't work. Plus it didn't work properly with Windows Home Server - XP Pro did! For the first time my computer was slowing me down - and annoying me too.

It's great to be a nerd and play with computers and I am enjoying playing with 7 but.... The majority of joes out there don't want to be fighting their computers. They want it to be like their cars, practical, worry-free, comfortable and reliable. Available when they want them not always in some service download cycle that insists on re-booting when you really need to use it most.

Bottom line. Sensible people only change their computers when there comes along something worth changing for. They don't want to change just because it's new, twice the price and incompatable with all the expensive gear already acquired. Show me a good reason why I will BENEFIT from changing and I'll do it. But lining Microsofts pockets is not a priority for me nor is upgrading for the sake of glitzy GUI's. I'ts gotta be a positive step forward and help save me money not waste it.

If Microsoft are to be believed and they are stamping out piracy then why aren't the prices dropping? Either they are lying about their success or keeping all the extra revenue for themselves. Either way I don't see why I should be financing it. If 7 comes as a good price I will upgrade because what I have seen so far is good, but I won't at any price! XP STILL does what I want it to do, I know how it works and I have a perpetual licence.

I agree as to upgrading for no good reason other than having the latest thing whatever it may be. I will upgrade to 7 if the price is right. That and 7 is my lucky number and my birthday, as in today the seventh of February. :)

Last edited:
Back