Windows 7 Windows 7's final name is...

Matt

Windows 7.

http://win7mag.com/2008/10/windows-7-final-name-is-announced-and-its/

huff.. I think it's just a code name. why not use vienna one??? but it's ok. I like it. It's simple and have some power.
:D

I think people would pronounce Vizn differently, just the way it is with Azure. Aezure, Azoore, Azure. etc...

Re

I totally Like what Microsoft has done and gone back to the numbers in name operating systems. It is simple and easy to remember.

Microsoft appears to be listening to these minimalist pleas, at least when it comes to assigning an official name to Windows 7, the successor to Vista that's slated for release sometime in late 2009.
In a Link Removed - Invalid URL, Mike Nash, corporate vice president of Windows Product Management, announced that Windows 7 will be the official name of the OS, marking the first time that a Windows product code name will be carried over to the final version.
Nash acknowledged that Microsoft has employed a variety of naming approaches for Windows in the past, including version numbers (Windows 3.11) and dates (Windows 95/98/2000). But for Windows 7, Microsoft has decided that these so-called 'aspirational' names just won't do, and that a simpler naming approach would better reflect its goals.
"The decision to use the name Windows 7 is about simplicity," Nash wrote.

This was announced quite a while ago.. ;) I like the number for a name.. it's simple and allows us, the user, to respect it more.. then some cheesy name like.. oh I donno.. Vista.... hahaha.. sorry guys but I really don't like the name Vista for an OS.. but that's just me..

Radenight I second your opinion. It is so much easier to keep track of stuff if they have a simple name.

Bit of a noob question, but would the number 7 be anything to do with the amount of windows versions there have been?

Not really, If you count by NT version numbers, Windows 7 is Windows NT 6.1, not NT 7. And counting the actual amount of OSes doesn't work either. I think it's just lucky number 7. :p

Bit of a noob question, but would the number 7 be anything to do with the amount of windows versions there have been?

Not even close, well maybe.

Lesse - there was Windows 1.0 (that ancient amber [on my screen at least] pile of cacca - am I dating myself here?), Windows 2.0, Windows 3.0, Windows 3.11, Windows NT 3.0, Windows NT 3.5, Windows NT 3.51 (prolly shouldn't be counted here), Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Millenium (does that one even qualify as an OS?) Windows 2000, Windows XP and Windows Vista. So that makes 13 or should we also count OS/2 since MS wrote the intial version for IBM?

Maybe this one should be Windows 14? Personally, I like the year suffix as it makes remembering the year of release a no-brainer :razz: Yeah Windows 2009 - naw ...

number of windows os'

yeah
since win95

1. 95
  2. 98
  3. 2000
  4. ME
  5. xp
  6. vista
  7. 7
they went through a few names like blackcomb and vienna
but i like windows 7, its got a nice ring to it.

windows 8 will be not windows at all. it will have a new name because what brought down vista will also be the death of 7. lets face it the people who like xp will not switch to 7 as 7 is vista second edition. IT wont be until version 8 which i call OS/3. It will be a totally new version with no backward compatibailty with any version of windows. It will be co-developed with Apple like how OS/2 and Windows 3.x were with IBM

I completely disagree with you dzuchowski. I have shown the os to many thousands of people, mainly at my local college campus. Many of them are in my classes. They all love the new features in windows 7. I have never had any problems in VISTA or in XP with backwards compatibility....NEVER. The only thing that even comes close is when one of my drivers encountered an error and crashed and i was never able to get it functioning again. But still From the professionals in the field of computing in fortune 500 companies that i have talked to most will recommend to their superiors to make the switch to 7 and just skip right over VISTA. 7 allows you to get things done a thousand times faster than XP ever did.

I completely disagree with you dzuchowski. I have shown the os to many thousands of people, mainly at my local college campus. Many of them are in my classes. They all love the new features in windows 7. I have never had any problems in VISTA or in XP with backwards compatibility....NEVER. The only thing that even comes close is when one of my drivers encountered an error and crashed and i was never able to get it functioning again. But still From the professionals in the field of computing in fortune 500 companies that i have talked to most will recommend to their superiors to make the switch to 7 and just skip right over VISTA. 7 allows you to get things done a thousand times faster than XP ever did.

if you read my post i said that WINDOWS 8 will not be compatable with previous versions of windows... M$ has this which is what I was talking about a post windows operating system, a system 150% new from the ground up...

Windows Midori: Microsoft Midori Is a Secret Post-Windows Operating System

Microsoft's upcoming Windows 7 might just be the salve to soothe Windows Vista ouchies, but what Windows fans really want is something that hasn't yet been announced. Mary-Jo of All About Microsoft says that internally, there's a project called Singularity that's designed to solve all kinds of shortcomings in current operating systems, upending the traditional way of thinking in favor of something dramatically different. And while Singularity won't be released to the public, Midori, which takes a lot of cues from it, will.

Heres the problem with midori in the past that i have run into. Our interent speed in todays society the internet speed is not fast enough to keep up with the OS. If thehy want to take the OS to the cloud like they are wanting to do with midori we have to improve internet speeds ten fold and i cannot see us doing that in the next ten years. That is my reasoning behind this.

windows 8 will be not windows at all. it will have a new name because what brought down vista will also be the death of 7. lets face it the people who like xp will not switch to 7 as 7 is vista second edition. IT wont be until version 8 which i call OS/3. It will be a totally new version with no backward compatibailty with any version of windows. It will be co-developed with Apple like how OS/2 and Windows 3.x were with IBM

"..brought down Vista.." ??

Vista is down?

Could somebody please outline what that means? We can't seem to find much to complain about the Vista OS on our company or home machines, PCs and laptops.

Sometimes I think this Windows 7 beta and final release schema is more about seizing on, or nurturing, a negative perception of the current OS just to sell a new one in a down world-wide market.

Last edited:
7 allows you to get things done a thousand times faster than XP ever did.
1,000 times faster?

Would you care to post some real stats to that effect?

Something that takes 10 minutes in XP would only take only .6 minutes in W7?

Get real! TEST IT!!!!

"..brought down Vista.." ??

Vista is down?

Could somebody please outline what that means? We can't seem to find much to complain about the Vista OS on our company or home machines, PCs and laptops.

Sometimes I think this Windows 7 beta and final release schema is more about seizing on, or nurturing, a negative perception of the current OS just to sell a new one in a down world-wide market.
You are completely right on this one spider. Windows 7 is supposed to restore microsofts reputation amongst the OS world. It is a revolutionary new OS that beats out its predecessors easily.

1,000 times faster?

Would you care to post some real stats to that effect?

Something that takes 10 minutes in XP would only take only .6 minutes in W7?

Get real! TEST IT!!!!

thousand times faster is an expression in the business world meaning the product flat out beats it predecessors. I am real you just need to learn expressions and their meanings.

Back