Windows 8 windows 8.1 app right click properties arn't showing!!

Basher

Honorable Member
Hi Guys,

I have an interesting issue in the windows 8 metro menu. When I right click an icon you normaly get a properties bar pop up on the bottom where you can change tile size, pin to start etc. This bar is no longer appearing. :die: Has anyone experienced this and have a fix?

Regards

Basher

I get those options in a context menu that pops up.. I do not see the bar at the bottom.

I don't see them either, I have what Saltgrass has. I'm running 8.1.1 Pro.

I restored an image and then discovered it is from an update these changes have happened :( I can not get any properties or settings on any of the tiles. I have noticed that there is now a minimize to task bar and a close button when you move the mouse to the top of a running metro app and when to the bottom the taskbar pops up but I cannot add any programs to the metro start screen and I cant remove any from it.

Sounds like something may have gone awry with the update to Windows 8.1 Update 1.
I would suggest maybe figuring out which update and when it was installed and then consider uninstalling it, if that is an option.
Or else going back to a previous image. In either case trying the update again to see if things turn out better the second time.

Attachments

• Screenshot (3).png
    Screenshot (3).png
    2.9 MB · Views: 586
I have never seen it in windows 8.1.1. I assumed it was one of the changes? Like Saltgrass, I have found it is replaced by a drop down menu on the icon. (As in Troubles attachment)

......I restored an image and then discovered it is from an update these changes have happened :( ..........

That update is called....... Windows 8.1 Update1. It started on April 8th.

1. RE : When I right click an icon you normaly get a properties bar pop up on the bottom where you can change tile size, pin to start etc. This bar is no longer appearing.

You were describing what you had in Windows 8 .

2. RE : "The bar is no longer appear"
Because you had updated to Windows 8.1.1
See screenshot provided by Trouble.

3. RE : I have noticed that there is now a minimize to task bar and a close button when you move the mouse to the top of a running metro app and when to the bottom the taskbar pops up

Those are the new features in Windows 8.1.1

4. RE : I cannot add any programs to the metro start screen

If you install a new appp. it will appear in the App screen. There will be greyish bar across the app and a word New. ( screenshot below )
Image 1.png

4. RE : and I cant remove any from it.
Right click at the app > Uninstall.
P.S. There are 2 apps that cannot be uninstall. Camera and Windows Store.

Image 2.png

5. RE : I can not get any properties or settings on any of the tiles
I have no answer on that except what is shown in Trouble's screenshot.

Last edited:
I just noticed the Taskbar popup with the mouse at the bottom of the screen as Basher indicates. I will have to see if I can incorporate that into my normal operations, although I don't spend much time on the Metro screen.

But if the context menu is not being displayed, maybe we would need to reinstall the mouse driver, or check for fixes for the context menu problem. I will have to check into that...

I have been trying to track down the right click situation, but it only appears that Taskhostex.exe is partitally involved in situation. And that is just a guess, so probably not something to research.

Are you seeing any Event Viewer messages?

If you think it happened in an update, which one was it. I think Davehc us correct about the changes being done in the 8.1.1 update, but several updates were also involved with that update. Were there any video driver updates included on your system.

I will do some more research and report back if I find anything, but since neither of my systems is having the problem, I will probably not find anything.

Edit: I also wanted to ask, if you right click, does the tile get a border around it and a check mark in the upper right?

Last edited:
I found a way to get my Start Screen to only show a check mark in the upper right corner of the tiles and not show the context menu.

There is a Group Policy in gpedit.msc under Local Computer Policy-Computer Configuration-Administrative Templates-Start Menu and Taskbar.

The Start Screen Layout policy will cause this if it is enabled. If it shows as Not Configured, which is default, you might try enabling it then disabling it, and back to Not configured...

I now have a touchscreen and I noticed the blue bar at the bottom of the Start Screen is available again ...

In my case, it was a registry key that was locking the tiles so I had no context menu in Start Menu or Apps view:

HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer\LockedStartLayout

Set this to 0, reboot and the context menus come back.

Back
Top Bottom