Windows 8 Windows 8.1 Desktop Icon Help

Tit4Tat

All my icons on the desktop has a (document icon?) on top of them. I've tried to delete the IconCache.db and rebooted to no avail. Any suggestions? Here is a snapshot. SnapShot.jpg

is this system just been up-graded to 8.1 from 8 or recovered from a backup image of some sort?

Hello, thanks for the reply. It was updated a week ago to 8.1 and everything was working fine. The pc was shut down the night before and when I started it yesterday morning, the problem occurred.

If you're talking about the white boxes on the icons, then it's possible you have a theme pack installed.
  • Right click on the desktop and select personalize
  • Try changing the theme to the default or just a different one and see if the icons adjust.
  • If you don't want the icons to change, from this same screen, click "Change Desktop Icons"
  • Uncheck "Allow themes to change desktop icons"

If you're talking about the white boxes on the icons, then it's possible you have a theme pack installed.
  • Right click on the desktop and select personalize
  • Try changing the theme to the default or just a different one and see if the icons adjust.
  • If you don't want the icons to change, from this same screen, click "Change Desktop Icons"
  • Uncheck "Allow themes to change

Thanks, but that did not work. It changes my desktop theme (background picture) but icons stay the same.

Right click on the google chrome icon and go to properties > customize and click "Change Icon..." and post a screen shot

or if it's just a shortcut click on shortcut tab and "Change Icon..."

Bingo! helpifIcan, you fixed it! Thank you so much and thanks to all for your help! Love you all. Lol.

Back
Top Bottom