Windows 8 Windows 8.1 encrypt folder

Peterr

Fantastic Member
Hello
I have found out how to encrypt a folder I would sent to the Cloud.
I also saw how to decrypt the folder.
I saw mention of backing up the cetificate which sems to complicate the process..
if you can decrypt a folder you have encrypted, why is it necessary to backup the certificate?
Is it because the first time a certificate is generated and without it you cannot open the folder?

If so where do you back the certificate up to in case of drive failure?
Thank you
Peter

Hello
I have found out how to encrypt a folder I would sent to the Cloud.
I also saw how to decrypt the folder.
I saw mention of backing up the cetificate which sems to complicate the process..
if you can decrypt a folder you have encrypted, why is it necessary to backup the certificate?
Is it because the first time a certificate is generated and without it you cannot open the folder?

If so where do you back the certificate up to in case of drive failure?
Thank you
Peter

The first time you encrypt a folder or file, an encryption certificate is automatically created. You should back up your encryption certificate. If your certificate and key are lost or damaged and you don't have a backup, you won't be able to use the files that you have encrypted
You could then save it to a different drive, DVD disk,thumb drive anywhere you considered safe.
This web page explains how:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/back-up-efs-certificate#1TC=windows-7

I am sorry to be thick I did see the link, thank you.
MY question is, do you save a certificate to a flash drive, for example, each time you encrypt a folder?
It seems as though you would have quite an extensive list, unless I am mistaken..

I guess so Peter although as you say the list could end up quite large.

I thought I may have had it wrong. The media must be trusted for integrity because if it fails, you have no way to access the folders.
Maybe 2 different media would help. I have 2 different flash drives with passwords on them, so they would be perfect. I doubt 2 would go at the same time. - thank you.
Peter

Back