Windows 8 Windows 8.1 laptop hard drive dying, need new install

danomdragon

Okay, so I've hit a panic state lately, and I've came here.

My laptop only recently started to do a BSoD with a KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR code. Doing checks, diagnostics, SMART readings through Speedfan, I've pretty much realised that this laptop hard drive is reaching the end of its life. After contacting a few of my friends already, I've figured that I need to get a recovery disk to go and install to a fresh hard drive, but I've gotten myself stumped and need guidance. I don't have a recovery disk immediately to hand, and I don't have an installation disk either, because it came with Windows 8 pre-installed.

Help?

For my money a clone is the best way because it is fast and has everything the main hdd has i.e. all the software installed, emails and web browser working right out of the box.

I use Acronis... it isn't free but ime worth it.

Older systems i.e. vista, xp and 7 can get away with just backups.

I was advised towards Acronis, but unfortunately I won't be able to do that. I'm a college student, and I have no spare cash at all. As such, I won't be able to use the full version of Acronis without having to resort to going all yar-har fiddle-de-dee.

I thought that Acronis still offered a fully functional 30 day free trial of its' True Image Home product?
http://www.acronis.com/en-us/personal/pc-backup/
Although I'm no big fan of Acronis 2015 (prefer 2014) it may be worth trying.
While, in a perfect world, with pristine disks a one to one clone might be a very good choice.....
I would suggest instead a disk image, using the advanced configuration option "Error Handling" to "Ignore Bad Sectors" so as not to copy or "Clone" bad bits over to the new drive.
I would also advise towards creating the "Rescue Media" and booting to that and performing the imaging "Off line"

Back