Windows 8 Windows 8.1 Mail, Calendar, and People Issues

timpfitch

I have been using the calendar app to store some of my upcoming events, some of which I don't remember since I threw away/deleted the original piece of information stating when the event is. Absolutely randomly, I was unable to access the calendar app. The icon on my start menu (I use Classic Shell) had changed from the original purple background with a white calendar to simply a white sheet of paper on a purple background. Every time I open the calendar, it shows up on the taskbar, but immediately minimizes it. I have tried restarting my computer multiple times, uninstalling and reinstalling the app, but to no avail. Since the calendar app is linked with mail and people, I tried opening either of those, but the same issue occurred. I even navigated to the Windows Apps folder, granted myself permission, and unchecked the read-only box, but still the same issue. My display adapters are fully updated, and I checked for hardware changes in the device manager multiple times. I have tried running the windows store apps diagnostic software multiple times, but still no luck. Instead, after the scan is done (and resetting the windows store), it says "windows store cache may be damaged," and states that the issue is not fixed. It also states "windows store configuration may be damaged," but says the issue was merely detected, not solved. I tried running sfc /scannow in cmd as an administrator, and at the end it said that corrupt files were detected but could not fixed, and that the names of the files were stored in some nondescript location, something along the line of "logs" which I wasn't able to find. I even ran "dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth", but it was stuck on the initial phase both times I tried it, so I gave up. The only plausible issue would be that my computer needs to install a few updates. My laptop is less than a year old, and is fairly high-end. My internet connection speed is about 25 mpbs/sec, so there is no way that that is the issue. Help, please!!! Also, if I am able to reaccess my calendar, will all my data be saved? Thanks a lot!

There are no updates on my store account. Windows is fully up to date. Unfortunately, this link doesn't apply to my issue since I am unable to open the calendar to begin with, and need to in order to access its settings.

I don't know if this would work or not. But you might try it. It worked in some of the earlier builds of Win 10. Run the powershell as admin.

Get-appxprovisionedpackage –online | where-object {$_.packagename –like “*windowscommunicationsapps*”} | remove-appxprovisionedpackage –online

Nope, also I've noticed I can still get notifications, but I can't open the actual app. I've noticed the issue has extended to other apps. For example, I received a notification from the news app, but when I clicked on the news app it wouldn't maximize.

Sounds like Microsoft does not want to talk to you... press [windows key] + [Pause] ...
Screenshot (373).png

...it this system 8 or 8.1?

Last edited:
Also when you open the store and look at your apps installed, is it the (old) "one calender" app or the new "mail calender and people" app?
Screenshot (154).png

FYI I have the old one because Microsoft doesn't support my {English Australia} lang yet... what area i.e USA, England etc are you?

Last edited:
Back