Windows 8 Windows 8.1 Refresh/Recovery

I recently did an update of my machine from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1. The update process did not show any errors or warnings and by the time it finished I was under the impression that everything went smooth.

After the update I was testing the environment and discovered that one of my desktop applications stopped working, I went to the developer's website and indeed I found there is a known issue with their software on 8.1 and to solve it, I had to completely uninstall the software and then install it once more. So I went to Programs and Features in order to do so and to my surprise the Uninstall button was missing from the interface. Right-clicking an item and selecting uninstall from the menu gives a warning message suggesting that the application might have already been uninstalled and asks if I wanted to remove the application from the Programs list. However, clicking OK or Cancel just closes the message box and nothing happens.

So in my frustration I went and tried to Refresh My PC; Once I clicked Refresh My PC the verification process started and indeed it told my that some system files are missing and that it should take care of it provided I insert my Windows disc. Now since its an OTA update from Win 8 to 8.1 I thought that MS knows that some people will not have a physical copy of 8.1 and so I inserted my Windows 8 Pro System Builder disc hoping it would work, but sadly as you might have guessed, it did not. It told me that I needed the 8.1 recovery disc.

Now I have been looking everywhere for a recovery image to download and use to fix my problem, everywhere I go it suggests that I make my own copy. But how am I supposed to do that if my Windows is faulty and has missing files. I really don't wanna go back to Windows 8 and re-upgrade to 8.1. I have a monitored internet bandwidth and I cannot go and download the 3 GB 8.1 update once more.

Can someone please help? How can I repair my 8.1 machine?

Searching online I came across this article describing how to get an ISO image for 8.1 with a Windows 8 product Key. However, entering my Windows 8 Pro System Builder (OEM) key in the box fails and tells me that the key I entered is not for this product. I am truly frustrated now.

regards
>>Google for the Win 8.1 ISO file and download it to desktop and burn a dvd. You won't have the ability to install without the prod key but you can insert it when it asks for files. Actually look around there is a work around for installing 8.1 with the 8 disc.

I guess I'll add onto the end of this thread rather than starting my own, since my problem seems to be related.

I've got two Windows 8.1 machines. I just updated my laptop, no problem, but my desktop refuses, because of a file corruption, even though it works fine. This was a Windows 7 machine that I upgraded to Windows 8, then to 8.1 and am now trying to update again.

I've run the DISM utility and it says my problem is fixable, but won't fix it because it can't find a source. I understand that it should be downloading from Windows update, but apparently that isn't working. I've tried all kinds of work arounds, but to no avail. I have a Windows 8 download that I burned onto a DVD and used for the source, but it just seems to ignore it.

I copied the following from the DISM log. Any help would be appreciated....

(p) CSI Payload Corrupt amd64_microsoft-windows-b..nager-efi.resources_31bf3856ad364e35_6.3.9600.17031_en-gb_68408c0dc1958b90\bootmgfw.efi.mui
Summary:
Operation: Detect only
Operation result: 0x0
Last Successful Step: CSI store detection completes.
Total Detected Corruption: 1
CBS Manifest Corruption: 0
CBS Metadata Corruption: 0
CSI Manifest Corruption: 0
CSI Metadata Corruption: 0
CSI Payload Corruption: 1
Total Repaired Corruption: 0
CBS Manifest Repaired: 0
CSI Manifest Repaired: 0
CSI Payload Repaired: 0
CSI Store Metadata refreshed: True
Total Operation Time: 125 seconds.

It also gives several warnings...

2014-04-08 20:50:22, Warning DISM DISM Provider Store: PID=11600 TID=9872 Failed to get the IDismObject Interface - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_LoadProvider(hr:0x80004002)
2014-04-08 20:50:22, Warning DISM DISM Provider Store: PID=11600 TID=9872 Failed to Load the provider: C:\Users\Lester\AppData\Local\Temp\5BACFD45-26B8-4F0B-AB86-E21575945EC7\Wow64provider.dll. - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider(hr:0x80004002)
2014-04-08 20:50:22, Info DISM DISM Provider Store: PID=11600 TID=9872 Provider has not previously been encountered. Attempting to initialize the provider. - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider
2014-04-08 20:50:22, Info DISM DISM Provider Store: PID=11600 TID=9872 Loading Provider from location C:\Users\Lester\AppData\Local\Temp\5BACFD45-26B8-4F0B-AB86-E21575945EC7\SmiProvider.dll - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider
2014-04-08 20:50:22, Info DISM DISM Provider Store: PID=11600 TID=9872 Connecting to the provider located at C:\Users\Lester\AppData\Local\Temp\5BACFD45-26B8-4F0B-AB86-E21575945EC7\SmiProvider.dll. - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_LoadProvider
2014-04-08 20:50:22, Info DISM DISM Provider Store: PID=11600 TID=9872 Encountered a servicing provider, performing additional servicing initializations. - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_LoadProvider
2014-04-08 20:50:22, Info DISM DISM Provider Store: PID=11600 TID=9872 Provider has not previously been encountered. Attempting to initialize the provider. - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider
2014-04-08 20:50:22, Info DISM DISM Provider Store: PID=11600 TID=9872 Loading Provider from location C:\Users\Lester\AppData\Local\Temp\5BACFD45-26B8-4F0B-AB86-E21575945EC7\EmbeddedProvider.dll - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider
2014-04-08 20:50:22, Warning DISM DISM Provider Store: PID=11600 TID=9872 Failed to Load the provider: C:\Users\Lester\AppData\Local\Temp\5BACFD45-26B8-4F0B-AB86-E21575945EC7\EmbeddedProvider.dll. - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider(hr:0x8007007e)

One more note. I keep image backups but I'm loath to go back more then last fall, and the problem exists already in that image.

Lester

First , did you try this link? Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
Second, I read that you wanted an 8.1 disc and yes there is a way to make one however although it will perform a refresh with no key it will ask for a product key for an installation. A friend of mine sent me the 8.1 iso to burn which I did but no longer have the iso or I would send it to you.

First , did you try this link? Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
Second, I read that you wanted an 8.1 disc and yes there is a way to make one however although it will perform a refresh with no key it will ask for a product key for an installation. A friend of mine sent me the 8.1 iso to burn which I did but no longer have the iso or I would send it to you.
Yes, that is the DISM command I ran. It tells me that it needs a source when I run it. I did find a way to get the 8.1 iso, so I have that. But when I set the source for the DISM utility to the DVD, it still tells me it needs a source. Do I need to set the source to the actual folder on the DVD?

You are over my head.
Perhaps if you post "Mod help". It will arouse a more knowledgeable person.
I will be looking for information and get back to you if I can help further.

This is an edit - I found that after running the DISM prompt and not getting a clean bill of health it is wise to run SFC again. Then DiSM again. If this fails you may have to reinstall.
I do not think you have to go that far but running both again would be a good idea.
Try SFC once again and see if you are better off.

Last edited:
Here's what I finally found. I ran this, then it worked.
This should be posted all over the internet. Reboot after running it.

Comes from http://www.thewindowsclub.com/repair-corrupt-windows-image-error-0x800f0906

1. Open administrative Command Prompt.
2. Copy the following code and right click paste it into Command Prompt:
net stop wuauserv
cd %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution
ren Download Download.old
net start wuauserv
net stop bits
net start bits
net stop cryptsvc
cd %systemroot%\system32
ren catroot2 catroot2old
net start cryptsvc

Actually in the end it didn't work anyhow. I started a new thread about it to see if it would get any attention.

Back