Windows 8 Windows 8.2 Rumors Likely True: Start Menu Returns

I hated windows 8, but 8.1 when properly set up (and it takes a while to work out how to do it) works just like my windows 7, complete with a slightly different start menu. I have been using it alongside windows 7 on my other machine and notice little difference. Both machines are normal monitor and mouse / keyboards. If I do want to play, then one click and the silly little apps for children appear, similar to the ones on my smartphone, but I don't have to use them. Its all in your mind. People just do not like change, and generally cannot cope with it. The problem with software is that the companies have to "fix" it whether it needs fixing or not. Windows 7 does not, so if it no longer gets support after 2020, just accept it and roll with the flow. I still use one machine that has XP on it, and have never had a problem with that also. I'm 72 in two months and not in any way a Geek!

The only Thing i used the StartmenĂĽ for in Windows 7 was to press the Windows Key and type into the Keyboard what i want.

As this works better now in Windows 8.1 i dont see any reason for myself wanting the start menĂĽ back.

I want the Media Player? Windows + S --> medi --> Return

Bam, there is it, in about the time-Frame other People Need to klick the start-menĂĽ.

But it seems like a lot of People dont want to be forced to work effective :D

Hi

Well I kind of agree about the start menu, but the real way to do it is to use an application like Rocket Dock.

I don't think clicking an icon, then typing in what you are looking for, then clicking on that, is more efficient then just clicking an icon and having your software open a few seconds later.

By the time you are half way through typing I can have Photoshop open. LOL

So I suppose that even when Windows 9 comes out, I will still be doing it the way I have for years.

The thing is by doing it the same for years with everything organised the same way, I no longer have to think about where anything is.

It' like playing a piano.

Howard is right, for PCs they could have stopped changing the interface at Windows 7, or XP for that matter.

I get Windows 8 for pads and phones but it has no relevance to desktops and laptops that don't have a touch screen.

They should spend the time making is work better, not different.
Change just for the sake of change isn't progress.

Mike

Seeing as this was written some time ago, it looks like these changes are being incorporated into Windows 9, and not necessarily Windows "8.2".

I am happy with Windows 8.1 Update 1 using Rainmeter and Start Menu Reviver. This might be similar to Windows 9 - anyway I am happy with it for now.

Attachments

• Screenshot (43).png
    Screenshot (43).png
    131.7 KB · Views: 623
  • Screenshot (40).png
    Screenshot (40).png
    201.6 KB · Views: 563
I am happy with Windows 8.1 Update 1 using Rainmeter and Start Menu Reviver. This might be similar to Windows 9 - anyway I am happy with it for now.
Here is a shot of Start Menu Reviver opened up.....

Attachments

• Screenshot (44).png
    Screenshot (44).png
    200.1 KB · Views: 641
my laptop came with 8.0 (never tried 8.1) … instead, decided on using aftermarket called "classic-shell" … works fine for me.

I love Classic Shell, I've used it since Windows 7 came out.
I still use basically the Windows XP interface.

my laptop came with 8.0 (never tried 8.1) … instead, decided on using aftermarket called "classic-shell" … works fine for me.

I love Classic Shell, I've used it since Windows 7 came out.
I still use basically the Windows XP interface.

I've used Classic Shell since I installed Update 1. I'm just trying Start Menu Reviver to see what Windows 9 might be like when it comes out in Sept. Please don't misunderstand me, Classic Shell is a good program - I have only good things to say about it. Guess I'm "fickle" - just like a change of scenery now and then.

Hope I am not out of line. Sept is here and almost gone, what is the latest on 8.2 or Win9? Also what is Classic Shell? 10-22 the last sentence. My computer did not respond to the Classic Shell question and when I tried to search again, I found what I needed.

Last edited:
We humans are weird.Mike. Now there are complaints on the web regarding the awkwardness, of going back to the Metro screen

We humans are weird.Mike. Now there are complaints on the web regarding the awkwardness, of going back to the Metro screen

But it IS awkwardness.
In Win8/8.1, Win Logo + C > then Start will switch you from desktop to Start screen.
In Win 10 TP, we all know how many steps one has to go through in order to switch between New Start Menu to Modern Start screen.
I am not contesting the necessity, or lack of it, of switching between the 2, but if one wants to, there are way too many steps to go through.
Personally, I find the Live Tiles in New Start Menu screen redundant and waste of space.
I would rather slap a few shortcuts on the desktop, or I can find what I need in Start Menu on the left.
There were a few times I was tempted to redeploy Start8 because I would have the best of both worlds. But I checked myself. It would be stupid to do so while trying out new software.

Last edited:
Perhaps you missed my point? Previously, many posters were complaining about the intrusion of the Metro screen. It now seems that many are missing it. I am one. I have customised the metro screen and do, in fact, use it as my start menu. Easier for mouse clicks and trailing through the text menu and sub menus. But, Everyone to their preference. And yes, I agree, . The new ones are a total waste of space.

I missed the complaints of Modern Start screen intrusion.
But then I don't visit as many forums as you do. In fact, lately I only contribute to 2 forums. I would visit other forums only when I wanted to check out the "pulse" of Windows 8 users.
I only knew people were demanding/begging the return of real Start Menu.

Hi

Either way, I get to all of my most commonly used software using Rocketdock, as I have for years.
It just makes sense to me, I'm kind of surprised that Windows doesn't have a similar feature.

Just call it the Quick Launch Bar, and make it an option to use it or not.

Desktop_zpsfde36774.jpg

My Windows 10 desktop looks just like my Windows 7 desktop.

I'm so used to it, and I've organised it the same for years that I don't even have to think about where the icons are at.

Mike

Mike, I realize that this is a Win 8 site but will Rocketdock be of any value if one is using Win 7? Just searching to see what I
can learn.

Hi

I used Rocketdock with Windows 7, and I'm using it with Windows 10.

I think I started using it with Windows XP, it's just an easy way of organising all of my commonly used software.
It's right in front of me and only takes one click to open everything.

It's free so there no reason to not give it a try.
I think pretty much everyone I know uses it, (that's because I set up all of their computers).

What I do is put things that I want to access while I'm in a software program, i.e. Photoshop, or my browser on my taskbar.
Things like Skype, the Snipping Tool, Fraps, my mail client etc.

Things that don't need to be visible when I'm using software go on Rocketdock.

Mike

Back