Windows 8 Windows 8 and Bluetooth Problems

Miggins

Hi,
been a while since I last visited - like the new layout!
I currently use Win 8 on my main PC and on my laptop, I need to connect a Bluetooth speaker to either of them but keep running into the same problems.

The PC is an Asus P8Z77V De-luxe, with its own Broadcom WIFI and Bluetooth.

The Laptop is a Lenovo Z480, again with Broadcom WIFI and Bluetooth.

Whenever I try to connect the speaker, the device is detected correctly, then as soon as I click on it to install/pair, Win 8 begins to start pairing, but then shows the device as "offline" It does the same with the PC and the Laptop.
The speaker is working fine as is the Bluetooth - it connects flawlessly with my Samsung S3 - I have updated my Bluetooth drivers, uninstalled them, reinstalled them and nothing allows the pairing to complete.

I have a Bluetooth headset and it has the same problem when I try to connect to my PC, but works ok with my laptop.

Anyone have any ideas as this is a real PIA!

Thanks

My experience with Bluetooth may have just been my problems, but it seems to be sporadic on the two devices I was using. Perhaps one deivce would work, but both together messed them both up.

Since you seem to a a little different situation so maybe we could look at a couple of things. Do you have more than one device at a time working? Have you tried making sure the device is close to the transmitter for testing. I know on the P8Z68 board, the antenna is on the back of the case.

In some instances, wireless can interfere with Bluetooth. If you have some transmitters close by, you might try finding another place temporarily.

Have you tried removing the device in the Devices and Printers Dialog? Sometimes, for them to pair, they need a clean slate.

My -v Pro does not have Bluetooth, but I do see a question about it and Windows 8 in the Download section at ASUS.

http://support.asus.com/Knowledge.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=P8Z77-V DELUXE&p=1&s=39#docs

Thanks for the reply - I only ever try to connect one device at a time, and the devices I am connecting are less than 2 metres from the B\T antenna.
Been down the "remove devices" a few times as initially that was how I got the headset to work, however for this speaker it just won't play ball!

Really irritating me this one as the device is clearly recognized and drivers seem to be installed, but the minute it finishes initializing it flicks straight to "offline" not sure where to go or what else to try now.

Frustrating also that the S3 Galaxy has no problem at all with connecting.

I just enabled the onboard Bluetooth on my Z68 board to see how Windows 8 reacts. I will go through the process in case you might have had a different experience. If you do not know, the Device Manager can be opened by Winkey+X and selecting it on the menu. This is where I am checking for the devices I mention.

First, I see no Bluetooth Windows 8 drivers on the ASUS site. So I have to assume they are built into Windows 8, or can be downloaded. When the system started there were no Bluetooth entries in the Device Manager, but the the system started to load the drivers automatically. When it was done, I had a Bluetooth entry with ASUS Bluetooth and Microsoft Bluetooth Enumerator.

Also two Network devices were added in the Network Adapters section, and in the Other Devices section, a Bluetooth Peripheral Device with a question mark.

I have now added a Bluetooth mouse which seems to be working fine. Nothing changed under the Other Devices, but it was added under Bluetooth. The mouse does not require a pairing number, so it paired with little effort.

Speakers or a headset might be set up differently and be more complicated, but I do not have any to test. If you would let me know what model the speakers are, I will see if I can find anything, but do you know if they have their own drivers? Are they showing up under the Bluetooth or Sound,Video and Game Controllers sections in Device Manager?

Do you know the manufacturer of the drivers for the Bluetooth on the Samsung. I think the ASUS ones are related to Atheros on this board.

My next quest will be to find out why the Other devices are showing with Question Marks... :)

I just enabled the onboard Bluetooth on my Z68 board to see how Windows 8 reacts. I will go through the process in case you might have had a different experience. If you do not know, the Device Manager can be opened by Winkey+X and selecting it on the menu. This is where I am checking for the devices I mention.

First, I see no Bluetooth Windows 8 drivers on the ASUS site. So I have to assume they are built into Windows 8, or can be downloaded. When the system started there were no Bluetooth entries in the Device Manager, but the the system started to load the drivers automatically. When it was done, I had a Bluetooth entry with ASUS Bluetooth and Microsoft Bluetooth Enumerator.

Also two Network devices were added in the Network Adapters section, and in the Other Devices section, a Bluetooth Peripheral Device with a question mark.

I have now added a Bluetooth mouse which seems to be working fine. Nothing changed under the Other Devices, but it was added under Bluetooth. The mouse does not require a pairing number, so it paired with little effort.

Speakers or a headset might be set up differently and be more complicated, but I do not have any to test. If you would let me know what model the speakers are, I will see if I can find anything, but do you know if they have their own drivers? Are they showing up under the Bluetooth or Sound,Video and Game Controllers sections in Device Manager?

Do you know the manufacturer of the drivers for the Bluetooth on the Samsung. I think the ASUS ones are related to Atheros on this board.

My next quest will be to find out why the Other devices are showing with Question Marks... :)

Thanks for that!
My Asus board does have drivers from the Asus site, they are Broadcom drivers, and also the Lenovo uses drivers from Lenovo too.

Both of these show up in Bluetooth settings in device manager -the Lenovo listing is Broadcom 4.0 USB, Microsoft Bluetooth Enumerator and Microsoft Bluetooth LE enumerator.

The speakers are Beatbox blueooth, (They are listed under Bluetooth in Device Manager - not audio) they show up and appear to load some driver when I use search for BT devices, but immediately after loading they go to "Offline" and the bluetooth light that flashes when they first try to pair keeps flashing as if it has not been found.

Any help is welcome!

Last edited:
I went to the site and got a User manual for one model. It seems very straight forward as far as pairing. I did not see how they enter any pairing number. It mentions tapping one button for NFC compatible devices, but I do not know what that is. It also does not mention anything about software being needed.

So for now, when you try to pair, the LED flashed red and white? Then goes back to solid red?

And just to make sure, you do not have the speakers paired with another device, whether the other device is operating or not?

I wish I could help more, but finding reasonably priced Bluetooth speakers/headsets is not easy. :cash:

First of all, there is no reason to limit yourself to only 1 Bluetooth connection at a time, Bluetooth allows up to 7 simultaneous connections.

I have a Win 8 laptop with a cheapie USB Bluetooth dongle plugged into 1 of the USB ports. No special drivers were installed, just plugged it in and it worked. I currently have a BT mouse and a BT speaker paired with it and working fine so I don't think your issue is due to Win 8.

I think Saltgrass may be on to something when he asked if you had the speakers paired with another device. You said in your first post that you were trying to pair the speaker with either your desktop or your laptop. You can only have the speaker connected to one device at a time (it can be paired with many) so make sure that when you are trying to connect to the laptop you aren't already connected to the desktop and vice versa. I have my BT speaker paired with my phone, tablet and laptop but I can only connect with one of those at a time. Since the speaker is currently connected to my laptop, if I try to connect to my phone, I'll see a message on the phone that it is connecting but it doesn't and times out.

i have also similar problem in my toshiba nootbook of satalite C50-A538, through the via bluetooth i m using my mouse and keyboard it's working perfect but when i try to connect my bluetooth speaker it has installed but it's have an status of offline mode about bluetooth speaker it's working perfect through mobile device and in acer labtob so please i need help to fixed it.

i wish i will get soluution soon
best regard

Back
Top Bottom