Windows 7 Windows 8 Antivirus Question

HondaLuv3r4Life

Hi everyone, I once again have a question...before I upgraded to windows 8 pro, I was using the free version of AVAST antivirus. But it seems to be interfering with my computer being able to run windows updates with it turned on. Can someone direct me to a good free AV program that runs well on 8? Thanks!

'H',

There is no need to direct you to any 3rd party offering or anything outside the OS. Nothing has to be added to Windows 8. One of the, really, cool things about it is, that excellent security is, already, embedded in it & ON, by default. Do not add or install such A-Vs, A-Ms or firewalls & you will no longer have any conflicts w/ Windows Updates.

All you need do to resolve this is completely remove Avast.

Cheers,
Drew
new_windows_logo1.jpg

Thanks! I removed it a little earlier today and problem is gone, only concern is has windows defender ever been really good a detecting viruses? I only mention this because I've never really messed with it so I wasn't sure if the one that came with Windows 8 was any better. But now I know, thanks again!

Cool, 'H'; that's good news & fits w/ what I had said, too. What is in windows 8 is excellent. It is both A-V and A-M under the name Windows Defender. It's more like MSE than Defender prior to Windows 8.

And you're welcome :)

Cheers,
Drew
new_windows_logo1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks! I removed it a little earlier today and problem is gone, only concern is has windows defender ever been really good a detecting viruses? I only mention this because I've never really messed with it so I wasn't sure if the one that came with Windows 8 was any better. But now I know, thanks again!

Hi,

I run Defender backed up with Malwarebytes. If Defender misses anything then Malwarebytes is sure to get it. The free version doesn't use a realtime monitor so won't interfere with anything else. It is however extremely capable at search and destroy and is an invaluable tool in the antivirus arsenal.

Malwarebytes : Free anti-malware download

Remember to keep it updated and run it once a week when doing your weekly clean up and maintenance.

Yes, Good that this has been mentioned (I should have, too) Yes, I, also, recommend wkly running of Malwarebytes, just for the heck of it, basically... it is an excellent utility.

I, also, use the free SpywareBlaster. Have to manually update it once or twice a wk but, if it's helping that all that matters.

Cheers,
Drew
new_windows_logo1.jpg

Based on some Internet research, I purchased Virpre's Internet Security program for my brand new Asus CM6830-07 desktop. Unfortunately, this software package denied me Internet access and corrupted the Ralink LAN Card driver. With Asus tech support, I located the driver on another computer. I had to uninstall Virpre and then reinstall the driver. I tried it three times with like results (Einstein said that insanity was doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results - just call me insane). Finally, I just installed Webroot that was bundled with my computer. I am impressed since the first thing it wanted me to do was turn back on Windows Defender since it was fully compatible. So far I am impressed. It is well behaved and has quietly identified and removed a couple of small things.

'LLL',

Hi & welcome. Are you talking about a brand new Windows 8 machine? If so, why was 3rd Party security being installed? Are you saying Webroot came bundled w/ this new Windows 8 machine? I'm having a hard time making sense of that, if so, since Windows 8, already, has security imbedded and ON, by default.... ergo, again, meaning no 3rd Party security need be added or installed including Webroot. ASUS are extremely good machines. I'm always excited to recommend their laptops to my clients. The last time I had any 1st hand encounter w/ Webroot (besides earlier looking @ it myself) was when I removed it from a customer's machine cus it was causing issues. Anyway, maybe you'd clarify, explain the confusion & mystery I'm seeing for me, please.

Windows Defender in Windows 8 is both A-V & A-M. So, Webroot must only addressing malware because more than one A-V can never be in a machine simultaneously.

I would recommend Defender & Malwarebytes much more than Webroot. Malwarebytes is pretty much the accepted 'industry standard' by most IT Pros for consumer computers.

Cheers,
Drew
new_windows_logo1.jpg

Thank you, Drew...

I will definitely take your advice.

I didn't mean to cause to confusion by using the "bundled" term. The Webroot was provided as a freebie with the purchase of my CPU. It was not a preloaded package on the ASUS desktop.

Drew,

Will follow your advice. Thank you. I also appreciate the shortcuts guide. Even in a few days of using Windows 8, I am getting the hang of it. By creating charms for common functions like files, control panel, system prompt, desktop etc, I managed to provide a bridge between Windows 7 and 8. These shortcuts will make it even easier. I cannot remember ever using the Windows key before - now it is more than decoration :)

Regards,

Paulette

You're very welcome, Paulette. Glad I was able to offer something helpful.. Enjoy Windows 8

Cheers,
Drew
new_windows_logo1.jpg

Years ago I used Avast & recommended it to clients. But, with what is native to Windows 8, just go with that.

Cheers,
Drew
Win8Logo.jpg

IF, this is in regard to Windows 8, I recommend the FREE A-V/A-M that is built into the OS called Windows Defender. It is ON, by default, from the moment the OS is powered.

IF, this is not in regard to Windows 8, I recommend Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE)

NB: Windows Defender is MSE.

In addition to the above running Malwarebytes wkly is strongly recommended

Cheers,
Drew
Win8Logo.jpg

Oh & Paulette, all those things you mention for which you are making shortcuts... there is no need as they are all, already, on the menu you will find w/a Rt Clk @ the Bottom-left Corner of the Desktop.

Cheers,
Drew
Win8Logo.jpg

hai ... recently i bought a laptop with windows 8 preinstalled init... whatever W8 is awsm,,, better than all those older,,,,, and i activated windows defender,,, i dont know is that gives sufficient protection for my system or do i need to install any other AV softwares.... plss help,, beacause i used to work with internet all d time...

Back