Windows 7 Windows 8 Antivirus Question

No, you do not need to install an other AV softwares nor should you as only 1 can be used @ a time & the OS, already, has one, plus it fights malware, too. The only thing recommended, though not imperative as the OS security does both viri & malware, is Malwarebytes installed & run, suggest weekly.

Cheers,
Drew
Win8Logo.jpg

Drew
I think that Windows Defender/MSE will rapidly become a big target like Flash and Java as Windows 8 becomes more prevelant. It does poorly against commercial AV products in several tests and doesn't seem to improve. It really needs a lot of improvement to be taken as a serious AV product.
Joe

Joe,

Maybe. I wouldn't try to debate that. My concern for Consumers, both inside & outside these Forums, is them not realizing security is embedded in this new OS. Ergo, (1) thinking they have to put something in, (2) being concerned trying to decide or pick a product, (3) getting confused by bundled (trial) inclusions from OEMs or some big-box store trying sell them Norton or something and having conflicts or other issues from having wrongly & unnecessarily multiple things in the box that don't play nicely together.

I'm not caring to discuss something subjective but, just to save people problems, expense or efforts, concerns & hassles they can avoid. That's not to say some other security than Defender couldn't be used... you & I know that's doable & how to go about it properly & whether we need to pay $$ to do it or not. We are not the average End User.

So oft I say just go w/ what's in the OS because they never had the opportunity before to have it so simple straight out of the box. Out of habit, not cause one or another is better or worse but, out of habit & history they assume they have to install security software or take something a Partner OEM is shoving in their face, that came up on their (new) OS screen.

It is not well publicized that Win8 includes security & it even more keeps that hush-hush when something from a 3rd Party company or offering shows on the screen @ the onset or some salesclerk is trying to get more commission by telling them they have to buy McAfee.

Some of us IT Pros have spent years making things better for clients by removing Norton & McAfee or helping clients not spend money when there are good things that are free instead.

So mostly just want people well aware & fully informed... including having the option to switch what came w/ this OS to something else for security, if they care to but, to do it right & w/out unnecessary expense.

Cheers,
Drew
Win8Logo.jpg

Cheers,
Drew

Back
Top Bottom