Windows 8 Windows 8 Booting and Starting Faster than Windows 7

Whether you should turn off your computer at night is a complicated question, since some computers can benefit from being turned off at night, while others should be left on. Many people choose to turn their computers off to save power, increase security, and reduce wear on the parts. Others choose to leave it on for overnight-running processes, data sharing, and network or security updates. Ultimately, whether or not you turn off your computer at night is an individual decision, and you'll have to balance the pros and cons. If you have an unnetworked home PC, you may find that turning it off and unplugging it provides the most benefits.

A machine is not less secure if left on or sleeping. Turning them off thinking it saves power... what they use while sleeping is too little to measure and leaving a piece of electronics on, especially @ idle, uses less power than turning it off & on, again. If a machine is not going to be used for more than a day or 2 than, maybe, shut it down.

Cheers,
Drew
Win8Logo (2013_02_06 10_30_24 UTC).jpg

Cool, glad you like it.

I may have a few other tricks (tips) up my sleeve you might enjoy...

Cheers,
Drew

When I first got my new laptop in February I left it on day and night as I'd done my previous laptop. My electric bill went up $20. I now shut it down at night and my bill went back down.

Dawter,

I am sorry but, I am going to suggest that a sleeping laptop cannot make a $20 monthly impact on an electrical bill. I will not draw that much current, not even close to that.

Cheers,
Drew

Still you are advocating people accepting "parasitic loads" as something insignificant. What you fail to understand is that parasitic loads may not add that much to an individual's electricity bill but on a nationwide level it does matter.

this is quite informative but expected one though as i have an idea working over the same Window version that it has enhanced features than it predecessor..

what about when we restart that OS? is it faster than windows 7?

I've been looking pretty close at this over time, and the honest answer is no. However, with the UEFI BIOS it does boot faster. You would need Windows 7 on the same box for a true compare. Windows 8, when it is shutoff, actually saves part of what you are running to disk. Almost like a hibernate where the OS is saved to a file and then the machine turned off. However, in this case it's only the kernal portion. So when you computer is started in Windows 8 it is very fast, and honestly it's a great design.

Restart actually does a complete boot where everything in memory is erased and then the computer restarted. Even so, the idea of the old cold boot is pretty much gone in Windows 8. In order to get there you basically have to shutdown the computer (not restart), unplug it and wait a few minutes and plug it back in. At that point you get the BIOS(Boot) screen and the OS boots from scratch. Again, may seem like more drama, but unless your job is to cold boot into the BIOS all day long, this is actually a good design.

if the news is of worth to trust then this is a moment of joy for the Microsoft as the firm is juggling much withe the mixed responses its latest version it getting from users

Well after a Windows 8 update, my startup time went from a few seconds to a now 2.45 hours, but at least that's down from the 4.1 hours it was taking!

Back
Top Bottom