Windows 8 Windows 8 freeze/hang (no BSOD)

kerrigjl

OK, new to the site, but I'm asking for help, as I have an annoying problem - I installed Windows 8 on Jan 28 and finally got my computer back to *just* the way I like it about a week later. Since then, I have had random freezes/reboots (no BSOD) every couple of hours. The screen will completely lock up (no input response, videos will freeze, etc.), and then the computer will reboot itself after a seemingly random period of time (or I power cycle it). It's to the point that I can't use it for anything productive, for fear of losing my work (I'm typing this in Notepad and saving after every sentence). It doesn't tie into using any certain program, and it'll even happen on a fresh reboot (all I do is move the mouse).

Again, no BSOD so no error codes there. I've checked the event logger, and all I can find are entries such as, "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly" or "The previous system shutdown at 3:15:18 PM on 2/16/2013 was unexpected."

I've updated all drivers, BIOS, and Windows. I selectively disabled every startup item and service to no avail; however, I did notice that it doesn't happen in safe mode (with networking). Short of reformatting and trying again, help?

Updated all in profile, but summary:
Windows 8 Pro x64 with Media Center
Intel i7-2600K @ 3.4GHZ (stock)
Asus P8P67 Pro, BIOS 3602
8gb g-skill ripjaw x
Enermax ERV1020EWT 1120W peak
Network card on mobo
Western Digital Disk Drives
Toshiba Disk Drives (added since problem started)
AMD Radeon 6970 (stock)
Optiarc BD-RW BD-5300S
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH22NS50
Corsair C300
Logitech Webcam 600
Canon iP2600
Lexmark X6100

View attachment W7F_18-02-2013.zip

Hi,

first apologies for not answering sooner but I had a few issues myself yesterday. Thank you for the information but may I ask was your install an upgrade or a clean/custom install? Also if you burnt the iso to disk how fast did you burn it? Anything over 4x leads to issues and a clean or custom install is always preferable to an upgrade install.

Checking through your drivers I noticed these:

SiSRaid2 SiSRaid2 Kernel 9/24/2008 1:28:20 PM
SiSRaid4 SiSRaid4 Kernel 10/1/2008 4:56:04 PM

Basically a miniport storage driver. These really need updating as they are too old.

Hi,

first apologies for not answering sooner but I had a few issues myself yesterday. Thank you for the information but may I ask was your install an upgrade or a clean/custom install? Also if you burnt the iso to disk how fast did you burn it? Anything over 4x leads to issues and a clean or custom install is always preferable to an upgrade install.

Basically a miniport storage driver. These really need updating as they are too old.

It was a clean install; the ISO was burnt at 16x.

I'll see if I can find an update to the RAID drivers mentioned above!

Hi,

On SiS's website, the most recent thing I can find is from 2007:

"SiS RAID driver package
File Name raid411a.zip
Version v 4.11a
Release Date 2007-02-08
Support Products
SiS965 , SiS965L , SiS966 , SiS966L , SiS964 , SiS968 ,
File Size 11,563KB
Support OS Windows Vista Basic/Premium , Windows 2000 , Windows 98 , Windows 98 SE , Windows ME , Windows XP , Windows XP 64-Bit Edition , Windows Server 2003 , Windows Server 2003 64-Bit Version ,"

Any leads on where a more updated version might live?

Unfortunately not but it may help if you un-installed those drivers and then re-installed them under compatibility mode.. It might not do anything but worth a try i guess.

It was a clean install; the ISO was burnt at 16x.

I'll see if I can find an update to the RAID drivers mentioned above!

In the past we've noticed users having issues using disks burnt any faster than 4x. Personally I'd reburn the iso, back up and re-install. In fact if you right click on the iso and click 'burn to disk' you'll see that it will burn at that speed. No need to use a third party app.

Last edited by a moderator:
In the past we've noticed users having issues using disks burnt any faster than 4x. Personally I'd reburn the iso, back up and re-install. In fact if you right click on the iso and click 'burn to disk' you'll see that it will burn at that speed. No need to use a third party app.

That'll be my project for Sunday; I'll let y'all know how it goes!

That'll be my project for Sunday; I'll let y'all know how it goes!

So, as I was preparing to reformat, I broke my RAID (set up in Windows as mirroring, so not a true RAID, I guess)... and then I realized that the freezing had stopped. I put the RAID back together, and the freezing restarted. Broke the RAID, and the freezing stopped.

Thinking it might be Window's mirroring, I then set up the RAID through the BIOS/RAID controller, and the freezing started. Broke the RAID through the BIOS and the freezing stopped.

Obviously, something about mirroring/RAID 1 is causing my hangups/freezes. Any thoughts on how to figure out why (from the previously posted file, or I can post a new one if necessary) so that I can use my RAID?

I'd strongly suggest that this is the problem:
On SiS's website, the most recent thing I can find is from 2007:

"SiS RAID driver package
File Name raid411a.zip
Version v 4.11a
Release Date 2007-02-08
Support Products
SiS965 , SiS965L , SiS966 , SiS966L , SiS964 , SiS968 ,
File Size 11,563KB
Support OS Windows Vista Basic/Premium , Windows 2000 , Windows 98 , Windows 98 SE , Windows ME , Windows XP , Windows XP 64-Bit Edition , Windows Server 2003 , Windows Server 2003 64-Bit Version ,"

A solution would be obtaining a Win8 compatible RAID card.

I'll 2nd that.

Cheers,
Drew
Win8Logo (2013_02_06 10_30_24 UTC).jpg

I trust you will share w/ us the response from ASUS... or anything else further on this.

Cheers,
Drew
Win8Logo (2013_02_06 10_30_24 UTC).jpg

Of course!

And their reply:

"Thank you for contacting ASUS Customer Service.

My name is Carter and it's my pleasure to help you with your problem.

I am afraid to say this board doesn't officially support the Windows 8, so there are no raid driver for Windows 8 for this board on our website.
Sorry for the inconvenience.

If you continue to experience issues in the future, please do not hesitate
to contact us.

Best Regard
Carter"

The hangs started happening again even without a RAID, so I reformatted back to Win7, re-burned Win8 at 4x, and reinstalled... and the hangs continued. So I gave up.

Last night, I upgraded to an ASRock Z77 Extreme 6 mobo with a i7 3770k and things seem much more stable so far.

Just wanted to give an update.

Back