Windows 10 Windows administration vs linux ??

soufianta

Hello everybody,

I've always used Windows (gaming, networking, etc.) but I was forced some time ago to learn linux. "Forced" is a big word but I wanted to learn linux and UNIX-based systems.
At work, i'm using windows but more and more linux (server side). Linux is a great thing (open-source community) but it's almost CLI-based (it's not a bad thing). Solving boot/kernel/disk/fs problems is easy on linux but what about Windows? Linux servers are stable (some of them depending on the distro you're using) but what about Windows Server? Windows is almost a GUI based system (CLI is coming back on windows with powershell) but can we administrate Windows as much as Linux? Solving a boot problem (or any other registry problem) on Windows seems to be much more difficult than on Linux no???

Thanks for your answers and sharing your experiences.

If you're talking server to server. Linux distros as servers go have always been headless (no gui), but you certainly can add a GUI or admin them through a lot of web based tools like WebAdmin. Windows servers have mainly been with a GUI, but with newer releases 2016 and 2019 you can also run them headless or chopped down. You can manage nearly anything through the server GUI if there is one, through the Server Admin Console on another computer or server, through Powershell or their newer Windows Admin Center which is web based. I've managed plenty of both Windows and Linux systems and don't really find either one more challenging. They just have different commands and different ways to represent things.

Everything in Windows is an object and everything in Linux is a file. Besides that they are very similar.

If you're talking server to server. Linux distros as servers go have always been headless (no gui), but you certainly can add a GUI or admin them through a lot of web based tools like WebAdmin. Windows servers have mainly been with a GUI, but with newer releases 2016 and 2019 you can also run them headless or chopped down. You can manage nearly anything through the server GUI if there is one, through the Server Admin Console on another computer or server, through Powershell or their newer Windows Admin Center which is web based. I've managed plenty of both Windows and Linux systems and don't really find either one more challenging. They just have different commands and different ways to represent things.

Everything in Windows is an object and everything in Linux is a file. Besides that they are very similar.
But my question was if windows is as much administrable as Linux. I think windows is more challenging when it comes to troubleshooting. More things are hide instead of Linux. I love windows because everything is available on windows but they’re too many things hidden. Another thing, 3.5G of ram is used (win10) without starting any application (only some unknown services in background), is that normal because it’s a little bit weird IMO???!!! I’m afraid to be confronted to a lack of RAM (8g) only because windows becomes huge in ressource consumption !!

It's not anymore difficult to troubleshoot. Windows has the same if not better logging and plenty of built-in tools for troubleshooting and sysinternals is owned by Microsoft which is a great troubleshooter suite.

Here in Sweden we have since the early 2000 had municipalities (Is it spelled like that??) who thought they where going to save money by shifting from Windows to linux.. (you know "It´s all FREE and ladida...") but withhin 5 years or so they all went back to Microsoft Windows..

Why?? Because Linux if "free" but the cost of administrating linux demands so many more hours of labor..
So in the end every municipal payed more for the administration (and the porting of programs etc.) than they do in a Windows world..
Even when they pay Windows licences AND they pay for the administration of Windows, it´s alot cheaper than it was with Linux

That is the experience made here in Sweden at least...

Last edited:
the thing is you need actual human staff to look after both and those people need to really know whats going on... not just read the steps off a list someone else made

$ for $ Windows is better value ime but there isn't much in it for some senarios

Thanks all. I grew up with windows and we're a lot far from windows XP (best windows version IMO) but I'm afraid that newer versions become more and more bloated and complex to administrate. It counts for every OS of course (evolution) but I hope that it stays simple and not too bloated (windows 7 wasn't bad too).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom