Windows 7 Windows Audio Service wont turn on, I have no audio

Bigger Tuna

The speaker in the system tray has red "X" & says "Audio service is not running".

Ive run the troubleshoot and it said that one of two programs was not running.

When i ran "services.msc" it showed that "Windows Audio Endpoint Builder" was running fine, as well as "Plug and Play"

For some reason "Windows Audio" wont work, and when I try to start up the program I get an error notice saying,

"Windows could not start the Windows Audio service on Local Computer.
Error 1068: The dependancy service or group failed to start"

When I referenced the dependancy files it said that, "Remote Procedure Call (RPC) and Windows Audio Endpoint Builder" both of which were operating properly, "Multimedia Class Scheduler" was also listed as a dependant file but it is disabled and it wont give me the option of turning it on.

Anyways, this is all the information I have, can anybody help me with this problem because I need my audio for class and I dont have much time before Ill need it again.

Thanks

If you have an audio class, have you modified your system with any special software or drivers?

My Multimedia service is autostart and is running, so perhaps something has messed up your install. For now I would suggest you open an administrative command window and check the system files. Type SFC /scannow at the prompt. Post back with the results.

Thanks for the response, but I managed to fix the problem.

It was the Multimedia Service that wasnt working properly, Im still not exactly sure what shut it off, but once i turned it on my sound started working again. I just had to change the startup type to "manual", turn it on, then switch it back to "automatic" afterwards.

It kind of a stupid that I didnt think to do it earlier before posting, but whatever.

Thanks Anyways.

Back