Windows Backup has not been set up.

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help and Support' started by scoostraw, Nov 2, 2015.

1. scoostraw

scoostraw Well-Known Member

I've had weekly backups set up in Windows 7 for quite a while now. Every Sunday evening. And often as the time nears, I will open the control panel so I can monitor its progress.

Tonight when I did so, my backup settings were all gone. It was just "Windows Backup has not been set up".

And so I clicked on "Set up backup". I get nothing but the spinning wheel - it does nothing.

Where can I look to see what happened? I did look at Windows Backup in services and saw that it was set to Manual. I changed that to Automatic (not sure if I should have). Any help would be appreciated.

Windows 7 Starter. Toshiba Netbook NB505.

2. patcooke

patcooke Microsoft MVP
    Staff Member Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

3. scoostraw

Thanks patcooke. I will check out that backup program.

Can you think of anything I should check or look at on this system? I'm paranoid that once I shut it down I may have a problem. (I left it up all night last night, which I normally do not do).

4. patcooke

patcooke Microsoft MVP

I always close mine down. I also maintain the three most recent backup images (on external drives for additional safety).

5. scoostraw

I downloaded and installed Macrium Reflect.

The first thing I did was to create rescue media, as prompted. This had a failure due to a USB wireless adapter I had. I "ok'd" past the error - but then the write to my external HD had a failure - possibly due to this (I viewed the log but could not decide if that was the case or not).

So I removed the USB device and decided to recreate the rescue media. But now it fails with 'Error deleting c:\boot\macrium\WAIKFiles'.

I'm a little stumped.

6. patcooke

patcooke Microsoft MVP

The original attempt to create the rescue media might have left some junk behind when it failed. Try uninstalling Reflect and also, if there is any folder on drive C called boot containing a folder called Reflect delete it. Then reinstall Reflect. Before trying to create the rescue media again try running Reflect to create a backup to just confirm that works ok. You can always create rescue media later.

7. scoostraw

When that happened, I did look for a folder named BOOT on C: but there is none. I also searched for a file named WAIKFiles but there isn't one. I did go ahead last night and do a backup, which completed without errors.

So yeah if the rescue media process fails again I'll try an uninstall/install and see if that cleans it up.

Thanks for the reply.

8. patcooke

patcooke Microsoft MVP

If the problem creating the rescue media continues do get back to us - so easy to leave problems on the back shelf then suddenly you have a drive fail - my years in the industry have made me a firm believer in Sod's Law!