Windows 7 Windows backup "The backup failed." error

dilipb

I have a Win7 64-bit system and have been successfully using Windows backup on an approximately monthly basis. I ran it before going to bed last night and woke up to a "The backup failed." when I tried to create a system image of both of my hard discs. The error is "Incorrect function. (0x80070001)". I found a workaround solution at

Windows backup or restore errors 0x80070001, 0x81000037, or 0x80070003

and looked up and found a number of "junction points", most rooted at c:\Users\Dilip\AppData - but the problem is that there is no such folder. What can I do next to solve this problem? Thanks.

Dilip

Ah, actually, yes there is... it's a hidden folder. Change the setting under the View tab of Folder Options.

Cheers,
Drew

Thanks, Drew. I tried that and still don't have luck. There are a dozen or so "junction"s; I tried the properties of each one, and each is a file folder and not a mounted volume. Any other thoughts? I'd love for my backup to complete. Thanks.

When it failed did it not offer Details or Retry? Have you disconnected the External drive, power & signal & retried? Any clues in the Event Viewer logs?

Thanks. It is a simple dialogue box with just one option, a button "Close". I haven't retried. Where would I see the event viewer logs? Thanks, Drew.

Thanks, Drew, and sorry for having asked a stupid question. I see that volsnap issued an error (event ID 14) at 2:33am last night - "The shadow copies of volume J: [my external hard drive I was backing up to] were aborted because of an IO failure on volume J:." The details of the error are below.

Before that, I had a number of routine looking System Control Manager event IDs 7036 (I guess a status of virtual disk running). At 1:39a, I had a BitLocker-Driver [I don't use BitLocker?] event 24620 that volume information on an encrypted volume couldn't be read (??). I see a few Acronis references; I had used a trial version of Acronis for backing up but ended up removing it from my system - or so I thought.

Do you have any helpful thoughts? Sorry that I'm no Windows expert. Thanks, and thanks for forgiving what may be silly questions!

Dilip

+System

-Provider

[
Name]
volsnap

-EventID14

[
Qualifiers]

Level2

Task0

Keywords0x80000000000000

-TimeCreated

[
SystemTime]
2012-02-26T07:33:57.546725500Z

EventRecordID183851

ChannelSystem

ComputerDilip-Desktop

Security

-EventData

\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy26

J:

J:

0000000003003000000000000E0006C00B000000100000C000000000000000000000000000000000

Binary data:

In Words

0000: 00000000 00300003 00000000 C006000E

0008: 0000000B C0000010 00000000 00000000
0010: 00000000 00000000

In Bytes

0000: 00 00 00 00 03 00 30 00
0008: 00 00 00 00 0E 00 06 C0 .......À
0010: 0B 00 00 00 10 00
00 C0 .......À
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0020: 00 00 00
00 00 00 00 00 ........

1. Disconnect (both power & signal) of the External. Wait a wee bit & reconnect & reboot the PC.

2. Go back & recheck the (full) removal of Acronis; both Programs & Features or via Regedit... if you don't know how to remove something there, ask before trying, please.

You are currently using the OS Backup, right?

Yes, I'm using the built-in Win7 OS backup. Again, sorry if I gave too little/too much/irrelevant information above. I used to years ago be an Operating System developer and could read an MVS dump, but I'm clueless about Windows internals. Thanks for your patience.

I have had the external powered off for some hours now today. In the past, I've booted and then spun up the external - do you recommend booting with the external already connected? Thanks so much for your patience and kind help.

Dilip

Thanks. This is what I'll do then:

1. Not try to remove Acronis, but simply reboot, with external disc still off.

2. From Control Panel, remove Acronis.

3. Turn on and connect the external drive.

4. Reboot.

5. Double check that Acronis is uninstalled.

6. Run Windows Backup again.

Amend it as follows:

1. Remove Acronis, or dbl check that it is/has been fully removed

2. From Control Panel, remove Acronis or (if, not there) via Regedit

NOW, shut down.

3. Turn on and connect the external Link Removed - Invalid URL.

4. Restart.

5. Double check that Acronis is uninstalled. Sure, why not, eh?

6. Run Windows Backup again.

Thanks! I'll do that and report back - but it will be tomorrow by the time I'll know if backup will have worked. Thanks. --Dilip

Okay, there's good and bad news. The good news is that backup seemed to work. But the bad news is that the old way I would do backup is no longer visible. I can't click on "Backup and Restore" and open up the dialogue to configure a backup. Last night, I was able to set up a weekly schedule to make an image of my C: drive and the key folders Windows suggested on that drive. But what I really want to do is to make an image each time of C: and my data drive D: (maybe I should not worry about imaging that drive but just make a data backup?).

In any case, once I selected the backup schedule, backup began as per an icon in the taskbar. I couldn't open the status, though I found in Control Panel\System and Security\Action Center a status button. I could browse the backup drive and see that data was being written, and this morning it showed that backup was successful.

How can I go back and open the backup configuration and specify other settings. Even if I don't image D:, I would then like to ask that D: be backed up every week as I guess an exact copy. Presumably, each week only incremental changes would be copied/synced. Thanks!

Dilip

Well, well, well, isn't this just great news, eh? Cool!!

Now, I think what your seeking is:

> Search, type in Backup, > Backup & Restore. Click on Change Settings; select the external then Next...leads to picking what is wanted to be backed up & when, etc.

Oh & you can't get @ this stuff while, Backup is running. Should be able to click on it, otherwise.

You're welcome. Glad to hear it succeeded!

Drew

Last edited:
Thanks. I did try that but can't get into the backup panel. I tried what you suggested, and also went into Control Panel and tried clicking on "Back up your computer" under "System and Security". The link is a no-op - nothing happens.

Dilip

Then, I have to say the OS is broken. Ok, stop laughing... You can try running Repair from the OS disc but, that may not do the trick. Oh & run the Repair 3 times...sometimes takes more than once, if it's going to fix it, @ all. & if not, you'll have to rebuild.

Drew

How fragile is Windows? I didn't do anything but invoke backup as I usually do, and now it may be broken? That's sad. Luckily backup seems to work, but I just don't know how to go back and customize it further. Maybe I should abandon Windows backup and re-install Acronis? I do have a repair disc that I built; I assume that I would just boot from it and then hopefully be prompted if I want to search and repair any problems? Thanks. --Dilip

Hey, don't take what I sense as gospel. See what others say. But, if you're saying the whole Backup & Restore is not accessible... not even can have it show... Is this the absolute, only thing that seems amiss?

Drew

Back