Windows 8 Windows Blue to be named Windows 8.1

kemical

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Mary Jo foley a Microsoft watcher and journalist has wrote an article giving Windows Blue a new name:
Microsoft officials supposedly have decided on the final name for Windows Blue. The final decision, one of my sources told me, is that it will be Windows 8.1. The client version of Blue, codenamed Windows Blue, is a refresh of Windows 8. It is expected to be released to manufacturing around August of this year. As I've blogged a few times, Microsoft is planning to position Blue as part of the Windows 8 wave, not as Windows 9.

This also further backs up the idea that Microsoft will not be releasing any major new Operating systems but instead will release yearly or half yearly updates starting with 8.1 then 8.2 and so on.
Read the full article here:
Microsoft's Windows Blue looks to be named Windows 8.1 | ZDNet

Mike
I doubt it I understand they made changes so Classic Shell and the others won't work. Corporate comes up with a bad idea and they stick with it instead of admitting it.
Joe

I'll have to make sure they don't slip the upgrade to me when I'm not looking.

If they made it so that Classic Shell didn't work I really would go back to Windows 7.

I've been looking for a deal on it, I wish that I had bought more than one copy back when I could buy it for $40.

I used the one I bought on my old computer.

Maybe that's their plan, force everyone to buy a copy of Windows 7 for more than they charge for Windows 8.

Mike

I'm actully surprised they haven't issues a hotfix that trashes Classic Shell. and the rest.
Joe

IMO. They haven't deliberately trashed the third party menus.
Some were hacks, some were third party proggies, which needed to intercept Windopws 8 functions. I understand that several elements of the kernel have been rewritten. It will be up to those clever guys who wrote the original "hacks", to reprogram them so that they find the correct paths again. I feel confident that it will not be a problem for all except one - "Startisback". That used the original start menu code from Windows 7 which, understandable, will be removed along with a heap of other leftovers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had heard/read that there were supposed to be 52 defects in Windows 8 that would be fixed. That was a couple of months ago. But I have not heard whether or not whether to fixes have been done. I found 9 defects on my own some of which haven't been remedied. I went on some forums including the professional IT and didn't get satisfaction. However, I have received some pretty extensive updates in the past 3- 4 weeks.

Further, I have read recently that Microsoft has now white listed some sites that were black listed due to major incompatibility issues. So it sees true that there were a combination of problems with older sites and black listings. For myself on numerous occasions I couldn't download or make things work until I updated the drivers and other.

Some of the "games" are truly MB/GB hogs. I've seen examples of player who had nothing but headaches one after the other and when I researched the games websites and other trouble shooting some of those had long lists of fixes.

There are several elements at play here so it is difficult to sift out the facts as to what the updates are and when and what they will be called.

But let me say that I have more than one Windows 8 and more than one computer. I spent a lot of time with Win 8 and I must say that I can't agree at all with the misleading and erroneous allegations that Win 8 doesn't have a start menu. It does and more than one. Several. They are, in reality, far more effective and useful that the old classic Win 7 style. In addition Win 8 is considerably advanced over any other Microsoft OS.

I'm still flabbergasted that users will wade into Win 8 and never even watch a tutorial or buy a Win 8 book. It's pure folly. It takes abou 3 weeks to become reasonably proficient and surely 3 months or more of diligent use to really become familiar. And even then there are many more months of learning.

Last edited by a moderator:
*sigh* when will Microsoft learn the putting version numbers is not attractive to the consumer? Windows 8 alone, sure. But windows 8.1... just sounds like some industrial release for a product or something. I'd rather it just be called "blue update" than Windows 8.1 but that's just me.

Maybe a point of view, Mitch?
I was gaga with Windows 98 SE, so in my case, a more suitable title update would be Windows 8 SE - old memories.

But windows 8.1... just sounds like some industrial release for a product or something. I'd rather it just be called "blue update" than Windows 8.1

To me, it reminds me back to the days of Windows 3 and Windows 3.1, when some features were considered quite controversial and buggy. It could also be an indicator they are re-writing Windows from scratch and are looking at minor releases under a software-as-a-service schedule for now. However, this makes little sense, as Windows 8 is really Windows NT 6.2... now the branding is indeed getting complicated. It would be crazy for them to call it Windows 9 given the fact that it would normally be what was a feature-update service pack. Since Vista, all of the service packs have focused on security updates, but previous ones did include sometimes major feature improvements.

Like they could conduct a survey even just among MS employees or extend it to certain MVP's as to what the name should be... Come on Microsoft!

I don't think that is about to happen, Mitch. MVPs have access to "MVP Only" conferences, online and at venues, but, apart from that, most of the MVP access is available to all.

Not implying MVP's have special access to things, rather stating it would be a cool way for Microsoft to put you front and center to really show how "valuable" you are to them. Just an idea, anything would be better than 8.1

Hey Guys:
I won't post it but I read that there is a major market forecast indicating a decline is desk tops and lap tops and shift over the coming years to the smaller tablets, notebooks, phones and other devices whose names seem to be proliferating like rabbits. The trend says the smaller devices sales will be triple those of conventional computers. Those devices are touch oriented.
Seem then that Microsoft may have a pretty good handle on where the money is.
Judging by my own family over the past 3-4-5 years my son, daughter, grandsons and granddaughters ALL have those smart phones AND the Nooks, notebooks, tablets to boot.
Over Easter they all sat around the table and had each other on camera, on phone, on everything - the whole gang - Except ME !
Last two times I booted up and shut down I got a whole slew of updates. If anyone knows if these are the expected big "fixes" I would appreciate knowing.
I've had a couple of strange anomalies since getting updates but my new HP 20 All in One computer is running like a fine Swiss watch at blinding speed.
BTW I'm a BIG fan of Windows 8.

I'm beginning to think that MS has either done something really really smart or really really stupid with windows 8. I'm incline to think it's the really smart thing...some one there has the foresight and thinking way out of the box for MS's usual stuff, to get onboard the future train. Something refreshing for a change.

Right now there is a lot of resistance to the new way windows is being accessed via desktop and laptop with this version of MS OS. But like anything new, there are going to be some bugs, some serious ones and minor ones. It's to be expected but on the flip side of it, what will the new way lead to. What will these current devices we use evolve into, they're getting smaller, lighter, faster and bigger storage...one can only wonder.

Something else that rarely gets mentiones is computers last a lot longer now. About 5 years ago the big advances with ram,chipsets and HD size leveled out making computers still be quite usable for most users. 10 years ago you got a new PC and in a couple of years it was a real dog nad needed major hardware updated. A high end 64 bit PC bought 5 years ago still meets the needs of average users.
Joe

I'm beginning to think that MS has either done something really really smart or really really stupid with windows 8. I'm incline to think it's the really smart thing...some one there has the foresight and thinking way out of the box for MS's usual stuff, to get onboard the future train. Something refreshing for a change..
I've been saying this since Windows 8 was released. Microsoft has been behind in the mobile market since Androids inception and now they want to rise again. Windows phone hasn't been as successful as they hoped so they're unifying the experience into Windows. Everyone seems to hate it. That's the only part I can't figure out.

I think it was due to a bad, and anti, press during the two pre public releases. Most adverse comments I read these days look coincidentally similar to the very early statements, without any added comment. Rather two much was focused on the missing start menu which, imo, was a very minor issue. As I say, for about a year now, there has not been much new in the critique area.

The sales are also being a little distorted, probably by the same source. Allegedly down by, what?, 20% for previous eras? Those who are so quick to make these figures public, should have a closer look at the financial market. The world, and, in particular, Europe and the US, are going through a very tough period, bordering on a depression. Sales of most non essential items are down buy the same percentage - particularly where I live, where overspending has been rife for too many years.

Well It was a nice theory but MS did shoot themselves in the feet on a couple of things. They ignored the obvious fact that traditional users don't want to relearn how to use Windows all over again. The other bungle was the app store wasn't ready when the beta releases came out and many of the apps are still junk. First impressions are an important factor in marketing and the average desktop user hates the new look and business will avoid it like the plague.
Joe

Sorry, joe, but I just don't go along with your post, but we are all entitled to free expression.
The early Beta releases were, by there very title, not complete. The store was to be made up by third part additions. The nucleus of the Microsoft additions were, in fact, in place.
Traditional users, and, I have to presume that those who were interested enough to download and examine the early releases were, at least, somewhat computer savvy, quickly noticed the large icon which said "Desktop". This would have taken them to the intended old legacy style desktop, where they could test out the product in familiar surroundings. Yes! The absence of the start menu was noticeable and objected to. But a simple and cursory examination of the various docs and publications available, would have shown those users where to find the necessaries. Installing a third party program or two would have revealed more.
I had no prior insight into what was coming, but had no difficulty in finding my way around. The so-called charms bar I left alone in the first instance, as it was, and is, only a new representation of the Control Panel.

Maybe irrelevant, but for the sake of example, I wonder what the average window user thinks when he first sees a Linux release, or, better, tries to install it! Or, closer to home did you not think the transition from XP or windows 98 to Vista/Windows 7 had its navigational problems?
If you are able to look back at the foundation of many forums, including the Windows 7 companion to this one, you will find that they gained there strength from supplying copious help during the Vista and Windows 7 release eras

Back
Top Bottom