Windows 10 Windows Boot Manager on wrong drive

You can open an Administrative command prompt and type the command below to place boot files in the C partition. Make sure and put spaces where indicated or copy and paste the commands.

bcdboot c:\windows /s c:

Then shut your system down and disconnect the other drive. During reboot, make sure drive 0 is set as the primary boot device. The system should now boot normally but you may not have recovery options available. So before you shut the system down you might run the command below in case you need the info, it should show the path to the recovery tools so save the listing.

reagentc /info

Thanks, this fixed my issues that i wasted too much time resolving. It is crazy that MS decides which drive to put the boot files on. The boot files should go on the drive with the OS for anyone without a dual boot.

I have the same issue and have a question regarding the resolution. Before I run the Bcdboot command do I need to make the 200Mbyte hidden partition on my boot drive or will the bcdboot command create it? I looked at my drives and sure enough that partition resides on my E drive. I can’t afford to screw this up otherwise I’ll have 2 days worth of work loading all my programs. Thanks much.

You can open an Administrative command prompt and type the command below to place boot files in the C partition. Make sure and put spaces where indicated or copy and paste the commands.

bcdboot c:\windows /s c:

Then shut your system down and disconnect the other drive. During reboot, make sure drive 0 is set as the primary boot device. The system should now boot normally but you may not have recovery options available. So before you shut the system down you might run the command below in case you need the info, it should show the path to the recovery tools so save the listing.

reagentc /info
Thanks for the help. I had the same issue and had been working on it all day. Your simple 1 line of code created a "mbr" on my C drive and allowed me to remove my other drive from my computer.

I have practical the same issue in Win10. I used the BCDboot command the files were written (it showed) but actually nothing changed. What should I do? I need to remove my old Win7 drive (that is working at the moment) to change it inside the warranty as it has been getting bad time after time (SSD). Any thoughts?
Mobdro

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom