Windows 8 Windows cannot install required files - Windows 8 / Windows 7

chrispanag

Hi all, I tried to do a clean installation of Windows 8 on my recently formatted computer. I have an 750Gb HDD on which I was planning to install them. I downloaded Windows 8 and used a USB Stick to boot it. Everything was going smoothly when at the second stage of installation "Preparing files for installation" an error message appeared saying "Windows cannot install required files. The file may be corrupt..... .... Error code: 0x8007025D
I thought it was the usb stick, so I changed the stick and I had the same problem. No luck. Then I redownloaded Windows 8 and still the same thing. Finally, I tried with a DVD medium, no luck again.

That's where the weird part begun, after all those failed attempts, I tried to install Windows 7 Pro from a DVD I had. And I got the same message with different error code, at the same stage of installation! (0x80070570). As a last resort I swapped the HDD with an old 80Gb one, and I received the same messages in both installations.

Any ideas how can this be solved?

I would have to say it's your media source that is corrupted. Where are you getting your media source from?

I downloaded Windows 8 via the official installer of Microsoft and I took the Win 7 DVD from a nearby retail store several years ago!

Hi all, I tried to do a clean installation of Windows 8 on my recently formatted computer.
Since Windows needs to be installed in what was unallocated space, does this mean you pre-formatted the drive. Since such a situation would normally yield an "unable to create partitions" type of message, just want to check the configuration prior to the install.

Not sure why we do not still have the System configuration option on this forum, but is this an older system, and are you installing in Legacy mode? Where are the drives connected as far as type of port and which ones?

Hi all, firstly thanks for tackling with my issue. Actually, I only created a new MSDOS partition table in the 750Gb hdd by using a GParted Live CD. I created the partitions for Windows from inside the Windows Installation. The hard disks are connected to the MB through a SATA 2 connection, configured in ACHI mode.

My hardware is a bit old so the motherboard has only a legacy bios (no uefi)

Older DVD drives may not be able to read the new Windows Install media. If you have already installed Windows 7 with this drive, then it is not relevant.

Try cleaning the drive with diskpart and then installing again. Or, at least remove all the current partitions and then set it up again.

But the files corrupted message would seem to point more toward what Bassfisher is pointing out. It doesn't make sense if you are using a Windows 7 Retail DVD, but possibly something else, like the memory, is causing some problems.

It doesn't make sense if you are using a Windows 7 Retail DVD, but possibly something else, like the memory, is causing some problems.

Hi all, indeed it was the memory that caused the problems. I swapped the memories with some spare DIMMs I had and everything went smoothly! :) Thanks a lot for your help. Because the PC was working earlier, I wouldn't have thought that the memory was the culprit.

I am having the same problem. I tried different rams but still the problem persists. Checked ram using memtest86, all rams are fine.
I tried doing a clean install of win 7 and 8.1. Bith giving same problem. Also the screen where it says "setup is starting" in both the installation takes ages.
I have read a lot of other forums but my problem hasn't been solved yet.

Update - used same media to intall on a different pc. Success. So there must be something wrong with my pc.

Read somewhere that cpu cache could be a problem, any idea how to test for that?

Last edited:
1. Don’t flush the cpu cache… EVER!

2. Do you get the 0x8007025D error?

This is a file mismatch or corrupt error and can be caused by different issues;

a. In the case above the file was getting lost in a faulty ram stick.

b. Having the wrong keyboard type i.e windows thinks you have US keyboard but yours has Greek, Japanese etc characters.

c. You download an update like 8.1 but the licence doesn’t match what windows thinks you should have;

C2. Antivirus programs like Kaspersky AV can lock this info away and should be temporarily turned off before doing this type of install.

C3. The Windows store can have the wrong data stored and then will need its system files synced (start screen - Store - Settings - Click on App Updates - Click Sync Licenses) or flushed (wsreset.exe).

Hi all, indeed it was the memory that caused the problems. I swapped the memories with some spare DIMMs I had and everything went smoothly! :) Thanks a lot for your help. Because the PC was working earlier, I wouldn't have thought that the memory was the culprit.
Thanks for contributing discussion. I had same issue and I replace memory (RAM) and it solve the problem.

Back