Windows 7 Windows crashing..randomly then restarts.

tmint

Hey all I'm having this problem when I right click on the desktop or on a folder windows explorer crashes then restarts.I tryed to open the event viewer but it crashes as well.Also when I try to open or right click on my computer it crashes.

Now all of this is random sometimes it does it sometimes it doesn't but it's very annoying, especially when working with documents copying and pasting cause I loose what I have copyed.

I installed windows 7 professionalx64 version not the beta or pre release,I did a clean install on a new system.Even after the clean install within hours I started getting the crashes.

Soo I reinstalled windows but that was a no go and I still have the same problem, is this a windows 7x64 bug or what?

Last edited:
When you say it crashes, does It produce a blue screen error or just turn white and not resond

Or does it close out completely?

I just get a pop up saying windows explorer or what ever it is im trying to do has stopped working.

check on line for a solution , which never works.
close the program, or for explorer it says restart.

Try to identify the cause of your problem with the tips from the link in my tagline... IF you can keep it running long enough.

Your bios may need to be updated though. It's probably hard ware / drivers related. Do you have another hard drive you can test?

Could you input your computer specs in the UserCP link at the top left hand side of the page.

To gather that information, download this freeware utility:
SIV (System Information Viewer) 4.03

To clean up your PC, do the following:

First, go to Start > Run, and type msconfig, and click the Startup tab. Uncheck everything except your anti-virus software, spyware detector, and personal fife wall if you have one.

No go to Start > Run and type services.msc, Look through the list and disable the ones you don't need, such as Internet Connection Sharing, Superfetch,etc

In Internet Explorer options, if you have a high speed connection st the size to about 50GB,
Under days of History, I put mine at 3. The default of 20 days is just ridiculous.

Do not install any toolbars to IE also

Also go to Start > Run and type cmd, Now type sfc /scannow

Now download CCleaner to clean temporary files and history, It is recommended by n=many people,'
You can download it here:

CCleaner

Hope this helps

Ok i update my system specs.I have allready disable some services using tblounts tweak and tips page.

I update my video drivers last night, and now I can actually get into even viewer, but I still have the right clicking and program crashing issue.

I all ready have cc cleaner and have ran it.I don't use internet explorer just firefox, and it's always private browsing so I dont have all that crap build up.

Sfc did not find any integrity violations.

Last edited:
Ok i update my system specs.I have allready disable some services using tblounts tweak and tips page.

I update my video drivers last night, and now I can actually get into even viewer, but I still have the right clicking and program crashing issue.

I all ready have cc cleaner and have ran it.I don't use internet explorer just firefox, and it's always private browsing so I dont have all that crap build up.

For what it is worth, I've fought this problem for weeks in two X64 versions with no definitive solution. I've even reduced my right-click context menu to almost nothing without any relief. It appears to be less severe if I remember to open Firefox (now 3.5.5) in Administrator Mode (go figure). It is totally a right-click thing. I've never had problems with Explorer restarting unless I right click something. I've decided to abandon Firefox for awhile (use Chrome) and see if the problem goes away.

Any consistent Clicking problems would cause me to suspect mouse or mouse drivers... can you try another mouse?

Any consistent Clicking problems would cause me to suspect mouse or mouse drivers... can you try another mouse?

TMINT, are you using a PS/2 mouse by any chance?

I was using a usb keyboard and ps2 mouse combo that was wireless.
I switched to a usb mouse and ps2 keyboard same issues.
This was the very first thing that I did, thinking it was the wireless, but still had the issues afterwards.

Oh and its not consistent, sometimes it does it, sometimes it does not.

I have not had anything crash in the last few hours,time will tell I suppose.

I ran the x64 Vista for a while, but came back to the 32 bit partly because Explorer kept crashing. I was wondering if something in the context menu might be corrupt or be pointing to an option or path that was corrupt.

If right clicking does it, is there any difference in the type of files you right click on?

I have no idea, it doesn't only do it when I right click, like just now I had a wordpad document open and added some information to it ,saved it then X out then the pop up came saying windows explorer stopped working ..ok, closed out of that and also got one for word document.

I would consider going to 32b but I built this system for 64b and I also don't have a 32b OS , plus I'm loving windows 7 besides this annoying crashing problem.

Well, something is corrupt somewhere. Maybe the video driver, or the mouse as was suggested.

I haven't seen where you have run the System file checker. You might try that.

Open an administrative Command Prompt the type SFC /scannow. Maybe it will find something wrong.

Hello again,.

Did these crashes start immediately after you installed the opiating system.

How long a go did you build the computer

Well I'd say within hours after installing the OS yes.I also reinstalled but no luck.

I just built the computer on the 17th.Windows 7 has been the only OS on it.

Yes someone allready said to run the sfc,and it found nothing.I have reinstalled the video driver and a few others.I really don't think the mouse is the issue here since I have tryed 2 allready.

That's what I was wondering..........

If all the components you chose were compatible with each other and the motherboard since it started immediately

I really don't think this is a hardware issue,If it was I would think it would have started as soon as windows 7 was up and running, but no it was hours after it was up and running.I have ran tests on the memory and hard drive, even stress tested the cpu and had no issues at all.But I have not ruled that out yet, just don't see that to be the cause.

Drew I have seached about this on the interent and have found alot of hits related, but have not found a fix yet.

There is a new post on this forum about the same thing,I'm going to try what worked for him and see if it works for me.

Back