Windows 10 Windows did not detect any networking hardware after latest Windows 10 update

UKWildcatfan

I have an HP Envy TS m6. Upgraded to Windows 10 from 8.1 when Windows 10 first was available. No issues until the latest update. Now I get "Windows did not detect any networking hardware " message and have no wireless connection. Restored back before the latest update and the wireless connection worked. Each time Windows would then update and the message would come back and I would lose wireless. Did the restore 3 different times and keep having the same issue after updating. Any help to fix this? All my other devices are working fine on my wireless network. Updated drivers and they say they are up to date. Help?

Is your wireless nic detected in device manager if it is I would check the manufacturer site for a Windows 10 driver and not through windows update.

My network card does show up under network adapters. Intel Centrino Wireless -N 2230. Would that be the HP site for the driver or Intel?

I would check HP's site first and they don't have one then get the driver from Intel.

So I downloaded drivers from hp and then Intel to a drive on another computer. Executed them on the one not working. No success. Still has the same message that "Windows did not detect any networking hardware ". An I going to have to reset this computer back to its original settings?

Possibly, since that HP is 3-5 years old now, it's Hardware is suspect.:worry: Have you performed any Hardware testing on it yet? Such as RAM memory, Hard Drive, or Mobo? Remember that Hard Drives only last 3 years in desktop PCs and only 2 years in laptops/tablets. Is that the original hard drive that came with that computer? Or was it replaced? Are you the original owner of the Computer, or did you buy it used, refurbished, or get it as a gift and therefore don't know the entire history of the computer?

Prior to resetting your Computer or doing another Windows repair such as a Windows in-place upgrade or a Windows Reinstallation from factory Recovery Media, we always suggest that users perform Hardware Testing; otherwise the time-consuming process of resetting your computer will be a waste of time if the real problem is a faulty component in that computer; the problem will just reappear!! :furious:

And, did you remember to run the W10 COMPATIBILITY TEST prior to the W10 upgrade? If you didn't, you should have. As it may have identified this problem for you automatically. Instructions to run it are here: Get Windows 10 app - Check Compatibility Report for Windows 10

Check out my article here with full instructions on Hardware testing, Software Troubleshooting, and Software repairs:
Windows 10 - Unclickable Task Bar
Go to POST #6 under my username: BIGBEARJEDI to start reading the article.

You will probably encounter yet another problem, as you stated you have the latest update for W10. Exactly what version do you have now on that computer? It should be v1607 b14393.51. If it's not you do NOT have the latest update installed. And, that newest update, the Aug. 2nd Anniversary Update (AU) cannot be installed automatically through Windows Update. It requires a complete W10 Clean Install from scratch on your machine. If you have v1511 b10586.545 or earlier, you are Ok, just don't have the latest update.:noway:

To check your W10 version, use the <winlogo-key + R-key> keyboard combo which brings up the Run box; then type in the <winver> command and the <enter> key. It will pop up a box on your screen giving you your exact current W10 version information!:up:

Cheers! :encouragement:
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Wouldn't the issue have to be with the latest update on Windows since I was able to restore to right before the update and everything worked fine. Then with Windows automatically updating, it wouldn't work after the update. I did this 3 times and it worked after restoring each time. Then it updates and doesn't work again. What about getting a new network card and installing that?

Hi

Does the network card show in Device Manager?
If it does right click on it and chose Delete, if it gives you the option tell it to remove the drivers as well.

Next reboot your computer and let Windows reinstall and reconfigure the card.
This often works for me when any device won't work for some reason, sound cards, network cards etc.

It forces Windows to go through the whole process again, Windows is usually very good at detecting and activating you network connection it does even before Windows is installed.

If it doesn't show in Device Manager then the computer with the new update isn't seeing it at all.

In that case I don't have a solution but replacing it with a new card would probably fix the issue.
No Guarantee though.

Did you check here for drivers...

HP Software and Driver Downloads for HP Printers, Laptops, Desktops and More | HP® Customer Support

Mike

Last edited:
Trying neemo's and Mike's suggestions would also help to narrow it down. Since you have a laptop, it's possible your WLAN or internet network adapter card is faulty.:andwhat: I would still check your RAM sticks and your Hard Drive as I already mentioned since your problem could be from several things, but a faulty WLAN card is much tougher to test for. You can purchase an inexpensive usb network adapter for around $40, just make sure to buy a name brand such as cisco/Linksys or netgear as some of the cheaper brands have poorly written drivers and can wreak havoc with your laptop. Here's one here: NETGEAR N300 WiFi USB Adapter (WNA3100) | Staples®

Just remember that If you have a bad RAM memory stick or hard drive, and you buy the new usb wifi adapter, your problem may continue even with a brand new usb adapter. :waah: That's why it's worth doing some hardware testing now, instead of later waiting for the problem to reappear is never a good idea!

Good Luck,:encouragement:
<<<BBJ>>> :congratulatory:

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. BBJ...the Windows 10 version is 1511 (OS build 10586.494).

The NIC shows up in device manager. I have uninstalled it 3 times, along with the driver. I have been to the hp site and downloaded all network related drivers and installed them in the laptop. They show that they were updated, but still get the same message.
I was reading that with the latest update, since the card is 4-5 years old, that the update doesn't support it and the card is basically deleted. Doesn't it have to do with the update since it worked before and now it doesn't? When I restore it back to before the update it works. Can I contact Microsoft and complain to them?

If I connect an Ethernet cable to the laptop, it doesn't see it and I can't connect to the Internet. Not sure if that helps with the diagnosis or not.
Again, thanks to everyone that is trying to help me. I'm not computer savvy , but I can figure some things out. Lol

I have an HP Envy TS m6. Upgraded to Windows 10 from 8.1 when Windows 10 first was available. No issues until the latest update. Now I get "Windows did not detect any networking hardware " message and have no wireless connection. Restored back before the latest update and the wireless connection worked. Each time Windows would then update and the message would come back and I would lose wireless. Did the restore 3 different times and keep having the same issue after updating. Any help to fix this? All my other devices are working fine on my wireless network. Updated drivers and they say they are up to date. Help?
My computer did the same as well, how can I fix this

So I went and bought a usb wifi adapter. Installed it. It shows in my device manager as working. Still no internet access. Won't even open or show connections. This is really pissing me off!!!! Lol

Hey Wildcat,
Good job so far. :up: You need to get the latest pre-AU (Anniversary Update) version on your computer v1511 b10586.545. AND you need to test that hardware!! Calling Microsoft to complain about your problem with the current situation you have (you haven't finished testing your machine yet!) is like calling Ford or GM to complain that your car won't start!!:hide: And you haven't even checked your Battery. You would appear VERY foolish if you call them or E-mail them to complain about a W10 problem that's non-existant.:headache: There are around 200-300 million people now running W10 worldwide, and maybe half of those or so have W10 on laptops running wifi and or hardwire connected Ethernet. Instead of getting pissed off; try following our suggestions. Those of us volunteering here have literally hundreds or thousands of man-years doing this stuff for a living and you need to consider that.

Also good job trying the usb wifi adapter. That's often our go-to solution after a failure of BOTH the internal WLAN card, and a hardwired connection via Ethernet cable both fail on a laptop. I've seen that problem and fixed it more times than the Washington politicians lie to us.
At this point, you could just have a corrupted windows registry problem, or faulty hardware, and sometimes that includes your Motherboard. That is a very very expensive replacement and can run anywhere from $275-$1,500 to fix. The problem is since you haven't completed the hardware testing we recommended to you, and you attempt software repairs using Windows command line utilities, or System Restore, or Windows reset/reinstallation all of that's a complete waste of time if you have 1 or more faulty components in the laptop. That's because NO SOFTWARE ON THE PLANET CAN FIX BROKEN HARDWARE!!

Attempting software repairs without testing your hardware will appear to fix the problem, but the problem will reappear again in hours, days, weeks, months, etc. and there is nothing my friend that's more frustrating than to think you have finally resolved your problem with your laptop connectivity than to have it break again with the exact same problem! :furious:

Well, I beat this one to death and backed up the bus over it and again backed over it for you. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink it.;) You've got all the information here to fix your problem, and many experienced professionals helping you, you just have to decide whether you want to solve your problem or just around all day and mope about it being broken. No offense, but that's how I see it.

Post back if you need more help or get stuck with the Hardware testing. We are here 24x7x365.
Best,
<<<BBJ>>> :lightbulb: :brew: :frog:

Last edited:
ok. Completed the hardware testing and the results were:
Processor check: passed
Memory check: passed
Hard drive smart check: passed
Hard drive short DST check: passed
Battery check: primary - ok
Wireless module check: passed
System board check: passed
System test: passed
I had removed the usb wireless adapter before the test. Removed it once it didn't help.

Great! Nice job there. :up:
Did you make sure you ran the MEMTEST for a minimum of 8 passes; all RAM sticks, or at least 12 hrs. continuous??
Now you are ready to attempt the Software troubleshooting and various repairs in my Troubleshooting article I gave you the link to back in my POST #9. For your convenience, here's that link again: Windows 10 - Unclickable Task Bar

If you go through all these steps, and the problem persists, I recommend you just change out the hard drive for a brand new replacement drive. Reinstall your W10 via Clean Install. If it still fails, your Motherboard is bad, and you can then make an informed decision as to whether you want to pay several hundred dollars to replace it, or simply replace the entire laptop with a brand new W10 laptop.

Let us know how it goes. You're making excellent progress!:encouragement::encouragement:

BBJ :tribal:

Back