Windows 8 Windows Explorer Crashes When I Open a .Mov file?

Lee Dunthorne

I have a YouTube channel and I recorded some videos on my iPhone 5c and I imported them to my computer and they crash on everything apart from Quicktime Player. When I click on the video itself it crashed Windows Explorer, when I open with Media Player that crashes. Sony vegas = crashes. Handbrake = Crashes. You get the point. I really need these videos to edit as soon as possible so a quick response would be nice?

try update gpu driver, also try use VLC (newer version just arrived) and shark advanced win7codecs

1. As you get the message when accessing videos, it can sometimes be cured by going to Folder Options > View Tab and put a tick in ‘Always show icons, never thumbnails‘.

2. It is sometimes caused by a third-party extension. ShellExView can be useful to see which shell extensions have been introduced into Explorer. Read about it then scroll down near to the bottom to download the x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version here http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html

When you run it, click or tap on the column labelled Company to alphabetically sequence the entries. You have to assume that the Microsoft entries are bona fide, so concentrate on the third-party entries. Is there anything listed that is either unnecessary or unknown? If so, highlight it and click or tap the red spot (top left) to disable it. There shouldn’t be too many of them but you may find it easier to disable them all, then re-enable them (green spot) one at a time and try File Explorer until the culprit is found.

3. If the issue persists, read about and then download, unzip and run Process Monitor version 3.1 (it doesn’t need installing), from here http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx

Because of the huge number of activities, it can be made easier to understand by de-selecting some of the activities. The activities can be toggled on/off by clicking them on the right-hand side of the Toolbar, they are Registry, File, Networking, Processes/Threads and Profiling. Also, click or tap Autoscroll on the Toolbar to see the current real-time events.

Back
Top Bottom