Windows 7 Windows Explorer freezes often

rockyp

Please excuse me if this has been covered - a search on "Explorer freezes" didn't get me any answers...

I have been having frequent system freezes (completely frozen - requires forced power-off) when I use Windows Explorer. I use the Windowskey-E combination regularly, as well as Right-click the Start globe and open win explorer. At least 4-5 times per hour, Win 7 freezes completely. It has also happened when right-clicking a file (to copy or move), and other Explorer operations.

I upgraded from Vista Ultimate 32-bit to Win7 Ultimate 32-bit on a New Dell Studio laptop. Vista had been working well. Is this a known problem? Is there a fix for this?

We all agree that a "clean" install is the only way to go.

Conflicts an hundreds or useless files are left over from an upgrade and this might be happening to you.

I would suggest you insert the DVD and perform that "clean" install.

It will save you frustration an constantly asking questions on why it isn't worked correctly:)

NOTE:

All your 3rd partry applications will need to be re-installed.

Yeah, deep down, I knew that... I was trying to remain a charter member of the "Lazy Users Society". Looks like a clean install is in my weekend schedule. :(

Thanks for your comments.

I feel it could have nothing to do with his upgrade.

I'm running a Dell Dimension E521 with an AMD Athlon 64 3200 with 6GB RAM and a 500GB WD HD.

I have RC1 x64 installed from scratch.

My computer stutters and freezes when I access Windows Explorer. It is even doing this when accessing data from a shared folder over the network.

I run Sirius on my computer almost all the time when I'm around and I can surf the web with IE or FF or Chrome without any interruption to my Sirius stream. The second I download a file and open the folder containing that file, the computer freezes and Sirius stutters. I fix computers for a living and have a folder on the Win7 machine that is shared to the network with some shared software for new builds and such. When I access that data, the Win7 machine will have the same stutter.

Hmmm ....

Then I would look at the network. Or TCP/IP,,, that doesn't mean there is or isn't something wrong with Win7 and network communication. Most of what you describe is network related, not necessarily Windows Explorer related. Most likely a NIC driver issue.
I noticed some similar issues, using IE8 and FF 3 beta 5 on Win7. Although, I have not noticed recently, mostly when I first installed Win7 RC. Things have calmed down quite a bit and are running quite smoothly.
I have streamed quite a bit of video without the hiccups of the fresh install and several reboots later. I am using stock drivers except video, audio, and chipset.
hmmm,, did you install the AMD chipset drivers? I don't know AMD that well so I don't know if they still use them. i would try that, and look for updated NIC drivers. Infact, I am and have been pounding this system quite much lately and it's smooth as glass.
Win7 x64 Build 7100, Intel D965WH, C2D E6600, 4G Ram, 2 x 250G in Raid 0 (OS) and 2 x 500G in Raid 1 (Data) Have also watched a couple movies through USB on a 42" LCD without issues.

You missed the point. It happens locally on the machine as well. It happens with or without Sirius ... Sirius just makes it more obvious since the sound audibly skips.

That said, you make a good point. Downloading CPUz right now to identify the chipset on this Dell mobo so I can make sure I have the most up to date drivers for it.

I say it's a driver related issue.. and a clean install will solve his problem.. ;) I'm not having this issue on any of my pc's..

It WAS a fresh install. I can't see how you have so many "reputation points" when all you tell people is to reload Windows.

If you're not having this issue, then it must not exist ...

It may come down to an OS reload, but I would wait or look for updated NIC and/or chipset drives first.
Did you happen to find the chipset drivers for that board?

is this an onboard NIC?

To test, I would disable the onboard nic and try a PCI NIC card or something that is newer and vista supported. And Chipset drivers

I feel it could have nothing to do with his upgrade.

Yes, I'd say it does, along with a most prestigious member (Radenight)

I'm running a Dell Dimension E521 with an AMD Athlon 64 3200 with 6GB RAM and a 500GB WD HD.

That's not quite enough information.

In order to troubleshoot your problem we need to know more detailed specs of your system hardware.

1. Go to Start > Run, and type msinfo32, look under the Components section for hardware identification
2. Go to Control Panel > Device Manager and look for any entry that has a yellow flag beside it
3. The manufacturer name and model number of your PC, if applicable
4 Please fill out your computers specs in the User Control Panel here on the site as well. It will then appear next to your name. look at my posting and you'll see the drop-down arrow.

I think it is more likely the dell drivers. They may not be 7 ready.
Yes, the vista ones should work, but there is no telling what dell does to the drivers.

I would, go to the manufacturers of the hardware, if its Intel board, I would try the intel chipset and NIC drivers off of intel's site for vista or 7, then find video and audio model numbers and go to those sites and try to find something close to match.

Long time ago,, the Nvidia 4GO card on the Dell Inspiron 8000 series worked better with the 400MX drivers from nvidia's site than dell's drivers did.

If it's AMD, then it may be that the combination of hardware and drivers that dell has put together just isn't ready for 7, it is a very good possibility. For the AMD, try the NIC drivers from here .

I think it is more likely the dell drivers. They may not be 7 ready.
Yes, the vista ones should work, but there is no telling what dell does to the drivers.

I would, go to the manufacturers of the hardware, if its Intel board, I would try the intel chipset and NIC drivers off of intel's site for vista or 7, then find video and audio model numbers and go to those sites and try to find something close to match.

Long time ago,, the Nvidia 4GO card on the Dell Inspiron 8000 series worked better with the 400MX drivers from nvidia's site than dell's drivers did.

If it's AMD, then it may be that the combination of hardware and drivers that dell has put together just isn't ready for 7, it is a very good possibility. For the AMD, try the NIC drivers from here .

Unfortunately not Intel. It is AMD. I will definitely try those NIC drivers, thanks.

I did also fill out my computer info. Thanks to the two of you for providing relevant information instead of telling me to reload.

Back