Windows 10 Windows explorer is crashing over and over

Have you heard of this issue before?

• Yes

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

fri3ndlygiant

Whenever I try to open windows explorer, after about 5 seconds the window freezes up and so does the taskbar, until I restart windows explorer in task manager. This happens every time I open it and now I can't use windows explorer. Also, I think this happened on a day when I took apart my desktop to clean some dust out, and I don't know how, but I was thinking that it could be related to the fact that I took my graphics card out for a bit? I check and I have the latest drivers for my gpu also. Please if you know ANYTHING, please reply.

I have tried system restore and it did not help, and I don't really want to factory reset. Also, I am not having any other problems that I can see.

Hi,
I doubt it's linked to you removing the gpu but you just never know. It sounds more like you have some corruption or malware, try running these scans:
File scans
Right click on the Start menu icon and from the revealed list choose 'admin command prompt'. Type:
sfc /scannow
press enter and await results

In the same command prompt and after the above scan has finished type:
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Press enter and await results (longer this time).

If the first scan found files it could not repair but the second scan is successful, run the first scan again using the same command prompt box and this time it should repair the files found.

Check you don't have anything nasty lurking about:
Free Anti-Malware & Internet Security Software

Last edited:
You can install Download Debug Diagnostic Tool v2 Update 2 from Official Microsoft Download Center and set it up for crash analysis on exeplorer.exe, create a rule to capture mini dumps. Once it crashes the folder you specify should have the memory .DMP files. Zip them and upload them here for analysis.

*UPDATE*
I created a post to show how to use debug diag to capture info that should help determine what is causing it to crash*

Windows 10 - Troubleshooting program crashes
I'll try this right now

You can install Download Debug Diagnostic Tool v2 Update 2 from Official Microsoft Download Center and set it up for crash analysis on exeplorer.exe, create a rule to capture mini dumps. Once it crashes the folder you specify should have the memory .DMP files. Zip them and upload them here for analysis.

*UPDATE*
I created a post to show how to use debug diag to capture info that should help determine what is causing it to crash*

Windows 10 - Troubleshooting program crashes

This was the smallest file it made, all of the other ones were a couple gigabytes and they were too big to upload

Attachments

• Explorer__PID__2012__Date__05_01_2016__Time_04_33_45PM__11__First chance exception 0X40080201.dmp
    718.7 KB · Views: 343
Back
Top Bottom