Windows 10 Windows is displaying incorrect UTC offset

martin999

Windows OS - Win 10 enterprise.

Today is April 25th 2018 and the UK is basking in British summertime which is UTC + 1 hour.
Windows shows my offset as UTC + 0.
I am in London (England) and my windows clock is showing the correct time but I have an application which needs to calculate UTC
and it does this by taking the clock time and adjusting it by the UTC offset and it is currently getting the wrong answer.
Ubuntu knows what the UTC offset is , as does Apple - why not Microsoft?
(I see the same error in Windows server 2012 - I think I see a pattern emerging).
I would appreciate comments. Thanks folks.

You need to force windows to use the realtime clock. This reg file will do it.

Save the following lines as utc.reg, and then run it to import this registry tweak. It allows you to set the hardware clock in your PC’s BIOS to UTC time. This is handy for boot dual-booting Mac, or Linux, when those operating systems are set to read the BIOS clock as UTC time, instead of Windows’ preferred Local Time (e.g., PST, PDT, MST, MDT, CST, CDT, EST, EDT, or the standard “GMT-” and “GMT+”)​

Here is the code to save as utc.reg:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\TimeZoneInformation]
"RealTimeIsUniversal"=dword:00000001

On doing this set the time correctly and then reboot. From now on windows and ubuntu will have the correct time.

Sadly this is not a viable solution. This Microsoft error affects our application running on client Windows servers. They are not going to appreciate being asked to run in a registry hack to circumvent a bug in the OS. This really needs to be patched by Microsoft.

They've said a few times it's fixed. Which obviously it isn't. I guess as it affects dual booting to non windows OSs they probably don't care. I only know of it after installing linux last week.

Back