Windows 7 windows live essentials on new computer less then 24 hours old.

wildthing423

I have a new computer less then 24 hours old. It is running win7 x64 home premium. It came , unknown to me with the entire suite of essentials. Now, I use live writer, photo gallery and windows mail on my previous computer and I new to try uninstall from control panel. I did this and the uninstall failed. It also restarted and the programs were no longer listed in control panel, but were still appearing in start/all programs and were also, now running on start up but i could find no way to stop it, though I did go through services and stop everything I knew for sure was a part of this suite. It still was running no matter what i did. i tried using a third party uninstaller but it did not show up in them as well[advanced system care pro and revo]. I tried to follow every fix or suggestion I could find but , they did not work, including windows installer clean up and keep getting an unknown application error message that changes every time I try to re-install the program. If you right click on the live messenger that keeps starting and choose properties the application path is full of question marks. The support for the computer admits they installed the software but does not support it, likewise the live essentials support team told me to refer to the agency/builder...So, they are playing pass the buck while in the mean time I cannot stop the dreaded messenger, which I have always hated. So, does anyone here have an idea how to fix or repair this as I would like to be able to use live mail and writer and the photo gallery and the movie program.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

Last edited:
I share with you the frustration of wanting some elements of Windows Live Essentials, but certainly Messenger is NOT one of them. I don't recall the offending program, but there was a desired program that Messenger was linked to that would not install separately. Perhaps it was Writer, but I really do not remember. I also found that messenger was not uninstalling through normal uninstall procedures, nor Revo uninstaller. If memory serves me correctly, I had to uninstall Live Essentials in its entirety, reboot, then reinstall Photo Gallery by itself and forgo the online Writer program. (I would rather have neither Writer nor Messenger than to have to accept Messenger to get Writer). I am sorry that I cannot give you better details, but since Live Essentials is a free download, uninstall it and as you select desired programs to reinstall, read the "fine print" very carefully on every page and when you come to the desired program that requires Messenger, you have a decision to make. I decided that the requirement to download Messenger with the offending program made the offending program undesirable. I still have references to Messenger in my Office Live Mail inbox, but it is not constantly "in your face" as it was when installed.

If this does not get you on the 'path you want to travel', post back and I will try to retrace my steps to figure how I fixed this problem to my satisfaction.

John

I share with you the frustration of wanting some elements of Windows Live Essentials, but certainly Messenger is NOT one of them. I don't recall the offending program, but there was a desired program that Messenger was linked to that would not install separately. Perhaps it was Writer, but I really do not remember. I also found that messenger was not uninstalling through normal uninstall procedures, nor Revo uninstaller. If memory serves me correctly, I had to uninstall Live Essentials in its entirety, reboot, then reinstall Photo Gallery by itself and forgo the online Writer program. (I would rather have neither Writer nor Messenger than to have to accept Messenger to get Writer). I am sorry that I cannot give you better details, but since Live Essentials is a free download, uninstall it and as you select desired programs to reinstall, read the "fine print" very carefully on every page and when you come to the desired program that requires Messenger, you have a decision to make. I decided that the requirement to download Messenger with the offending program made the offending program undesirable. I still have references to Messenger in my Office Live Mail inbox, but it is not constantly "in your face" as it was when installed.

If this does not get you on the 'path you want to travel', post back and I will try to retrace my steps to figure how I fixed this problem to my satisfaction.

John

John, As I stated previously, my first action was to uninstall using the control panel remove programs. The real problem is that it is not actually uninstalled. And when , Thinking that it was I tried to re-install the problem child in order to uninstall the ones that I want, as in many posts all over the net , I was told by the program that an instance of the program was pre-existing and running yet it does not show up anywhere...EXCEPT... THERE ARE FOLDERS FOR ALL THE PROGRAMS IN C.WINDOWS PROGRAMS AND C...WINDOWS X86 which must be why this is all happening.. I saw on another post in another forum that came up in google , which I did not bookmark, That those mui files must somehow be removed in order to correct this problem.. I know there is a fix for this but now I cannot find that post again. even though I am the only one on this computer, and I am the absolute owner/administrator I cannot remove the offending program mui installers from the x64 and x86 folders. I am new to using windows 7 and do not know how to gain the permissions necessary.

Mark

Unfortunately, if you are having problems uninstalling the full Windows Live Essentials suite, I would be over my head on that issue. I had understood from your original post that it was Messenger alone that you were having problem uninstalling. I was just relaying to you how I managed to eliminate the problem. Locating and eliminating the mui files that you speak of and plowing through the nightmare of Windows permissions and users is beyond my level of expertise. Perhaps someone with better familiarity with this problem will have something better to offer.

Back