Windows 7 Windows Live Mail, corrupt type?

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Hi

After the last Windows update the type in Windows Live Mail went all funny.
As you will see in the image this only applies to the application type not the type in the view message window.

I did a system restore to before the update and it corrected it.
This screwed up another program that I had just installed to I went back to the original restore point and the error came back.

Anyone have any idea how I can fix this without going to the earlier restore point?

I haven't tried removing and restoring Live Mail because I don't want to lose some of the messages that I have in it right now.

Here's the image....

Bad Type in Windows Mail.JPG

Mike

Hi Mike. As you are an experienced user, I guess you have tried all the simpler "fixes". I am trying to replicate your fault, without success. However, I just wanted to have a quicky - I would suggest you remove your Comcast address from the post - it can lead to a heck of a load of spam otherwise.
fwiw. Yours is the third post I have read today, with Comcast addresses, and having problems. Maybe the fault is there?

Just been messing. IF you want to chance it! I just uninstalled Live Mail, and then reinstalled it. It regained all my previous correspondence and customising, without incident. However, I practise this as a precaution for computer/hardware failure. I have a Folder which I have named "mailbox" on a separate hard drive. In the Live Mail Advanced options, I have direct the program to this folder, as my "storage" folder. Whenever I reinstall, or replace my image, I merely point the Live Mail to this folder and it picks up where it left off. But, for your purposes, I accepted the default mailbox. After a "uninstall/reinstall", it still found all the previous mail without any action from me.

Thanks I'll give the reinstall a try.

Nothing else has worked except the restore to a date before the recent update.
Which as I said screws up something else that I just installed.

Mike

Hi again

Well things are going down hill.
I uninstalled Live Mail and then reinstalled it again.

Now it won't run at all.

Every time I try to start it, I get a message saying that it may not be installed correctly.
I've gone through the process twice. Same result.

That's why I hate these programs that install without giving you any options about where you want to install them or anything.
It doesn't give me the chance to install it in another location as a new installation.

I installed Thunderbird so I can get my mail for now but I'd like to get Live Mail back up and running without doing a restore of my Windows installation.

Anyone have any ideas?

Mike

Ps. Windows Live Essentials no longer shows up in the Remove Windows programs window or in Revo Uninstaller, I can uninstall it by going to the uninstall .exe file in the Live Mail folder.

Ps. 2 I got it installed and working again by going back to an earlier restore point.
The type is still corrupt, the funny thing is that only the type in the area that shows the messege lists, addresses etc, looks like a wet piece of paper.

Mail Type.JPG

The message window, the header etc. all look normal.

I can't find anyplace with options as to what type is used in Live Mail.
If I could change the type face it might correct it, as it seems that the type is corrupted in some way.

Last edited:
Well it looks like tomorrow I'll find out if my Acronis back up works.

I've found the corrupted type in another application so it's not just Live Mail, plus I've screwed up how Skyrim is running with all the restores etc.

So tomorrow I'll try and restore drive C:\ to my latest back up.

I haven't been able to fix it or get Skyrim fixed so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

We have company coming so I don't have time to do it tonight.

Mike

This screwed up another program that I had just installed to I went back to the original restore point and the error came back.
Mike, is there any chance that it was not actually the update but perhaps the other program that you installed about the same time that has cause these issues with Live Mail?
And double check your font folder for versions of Segoe UI font double click it and make sure you have all six (Segoe UI Bold, Segoe UI Bold Italic, Segoe UI Italic, Segoe UI Regular and Segoe UI Semibold) those are the fonts used by Live Mail and the its's user interface.
Just a thought.
Regards
Randy

Hi Randy

I think that you may be right.
The program I installed was the demo for Kingdoms of Amalur.

I have removed it now.
I found that Skyrim is also fowled up some how, it's menus have the same corrupted type and it won't run at normal frame rates.

I'll check the fonts first and if that doesn't fix it I'll do a restore of the drive.
I think the problem with Skyrim may be from doing all the system restores.
I had a lot of mods installed and I think it screwed that all up.

Mike

Hi

Randy was right!

When I installed Kingdoms of Amalur, I changed some setting in my Catalyst Control Panel to get it to work.
Before I did so all I got in the demo was a black screen with a cursor.

Last night I finally uninstalled the demo, I had played all the way through it anyway, and then I went back into my graphics setup and set everything to default and the problems all disappeared.

Thanks for the help, I just never thought that it could be a graphics issue since it only appeared in such a limited number of areas.
Why only some of the type in some areas?

Mike

Back
Top Bottom